Chapter 23

Maya had a rough shift the previous night so had therefore slept later than anticipated.

It wasn't an alarm that woke the blonde from her slumber, but a certain brunette instead.

The twins had been taken to Maya house where they had slept whilst jack took care of them for the night because he was off shift.

It was quiet without the boys and without most people that were usually im the station but weren't because they were most probably either still at home or on a call.

"Maya" it was the hand against her scalp that she felt first, in which got her attention.

She had passed out on the sofa downstairs because she was too exhausted to walk to her bunk.

"Bellini" another gentle touch, but this time to her cheek.

"Mm" mama replied with, hearing Carinas voice brought a smile to her face.

"This doesn't look comfortable my love" Mayas heart swelled at what carina had said and brought herself so she was sitting on the sofa now instead of laying down.

"It's not" Maya replied, her morning voice was normally croaky and horse and Carina hadn't realised how much she liked hearing it until now.

Carina joined Maya on the sofa, sitting next to the blonde with her hand resting on her thigh.

"Rough shift?" Carina asked knowing that she must have been exhausted if she fell asleep on the sofa and not her bunk.

"Yeah" Maya sighed, thinking back to last nights calls.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Carina didn't want to push the blonde to talk about it if she didn't want to, but also wanted her to know that I'm that moment she was there for her if she needed to confide in someone.

"It was just hectic, and I hadn't managed to eat much before my shift so I was just extra tired yesterday night" Carina nodded knowing that she had brought up the problems with Maya not eating as much as she should, she relied more on protein shakes than she did with food.

"Right, how are you feeling now? Hungry?" Maya nodded in which Carina smiled and leant over to kiss Maya on her cheek.

Maya turned around though so she ended up kissing the brunette on the lips instead.

Carina laughed before taking hold of Mayas hand and pulling her from the sofa and leading her to the beanery.

****

Carina had now left the station and had gone to the hospital.

Maya was currently on a call when she felt the ground start to vibrate.

"What the-" she was cut off by a sudden jolt causing her to fly forwards onto the concrete floor.

"It's a tornado!" The sirens could be heard and the civilians they were currently with were starting to panic.

"Alright, everyone take cover!" Maya shouted despite the slight pain she felt from the cut she now had on her hand from falling at such a force.

Maya stood from the floor and made her way over towards the fire engine.

"Andy grab some people and take cover" she ordered watching as Andy grill owed her instruction.

In the back of her mind she was worried for the twins.

She knew that they were with Jack and Dean though so she felt less worried knowing that they were in good hands.

"Is everyone alright?" Maya could hear muffled noises of people calling out for their loved ones.

The impact of the last joint send Maya into the trees next to them, her back hit a trunk and she fell with a thump.

"Ouch" she groaned a sharp pain shooting through her spine.

"Maya!" Maya couldn't see much from where she was laying on the grass, it was long and was blocking her view.

"Andy" she whispered not being able to shout as she felt her lungs tighten when she took each breath.

Luckily Andy caught sight of Maya and came running over to the blonde.

"Ok, I'll get you help don't worry" Andy bent down to assess Mayas injury's but couldn't see anything obvious so tried to turn her over onto her side.

"No" Maya shook her head and tried pointing to her back.

"It hurts there?" Andy asked as she pointed to Mayas back.

Maya nodded her head and closed her eyes.

"You cant close your eyes, you have to keep them open for me Maya" Maya nodded and tried to keep her eyes open, although the deep urge to close her eyes was hard to ignore.

"I need a stretcher over here" she caught bens attention and not long later he came running over with a stretcher.

They placed the stretcher on the floor and tried to roll Maya onto it.

Maya groaned out in pain when they rolled her onto the stretcher.

"God" she groaned when she was on the stretcher and no longer had to move herself.

"Would you like us to call anyone?" Andy was mainly talking about Carina as she knew the blonde wasn't close with her family.

"Carina" Maya gasped her breathing becoming laboured.

"Ok, we will be at the hospital soon" Maya nodded and closed her eyes, no one stopped her as she let them close.

"27 year old female collided with a tree trunk and is complaining of back pain and is struggling to breath" Maya heard faded voices as the doors to the ambulance opened revealing the broad daylight.

"Maya" carina was by Mayas side before she even saw her.

"Oh Bella" Maya felt cold hands against her forehead and smiled at the Italians touch.

"I'm ok" she whispered, smiling again when Carina spoke.

"You are not ok, don't be an idiot" Maya tried to sit up but instead groaned out in pain again at the shooting pain going through her back.

"Sh lay down" Maya took the gas and air Andy gave to her before they rolled the stretcher into the hospital.

****

"How are you feeling?" Carina asked as she entered Mayas room after having everything checked out and scanned.

"Better" Mayas voice was hoarse so Carina grabbed a cup sat in the water machine and filled it up before handing it to her girlfriend.

"Thank you" Carina nodded before sitting in the chair by Mayas side.

"Did they say what was wrong?" Carina asked wanted to know what caused Maya so much pain.

"Fractured ribs" Maya shook her head laughing at how ironic the situation was.

"What's so funny?" Carina asked watching as Maya shook her head laughing to herself.

"I didn't even get hurt from fighting a fire, it was from the tornado that caused me to be launched into a tree trunk" Carina smiled in response, that was ironic.

"Well, you never know" Maya stopped laughing and placed her hand on top of Carinas.

"I'm glad I'm ok" Carina nodded and ran her thumb across the length of Mayas hand.

"Me too Bella"

AN:

Hello all, it's almost Halloween