𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 - 𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐍𝐨 𝐒𝐞𝐞

"Fuck

"Fuck."

Maine.

He's supposed to be in Maine. What the hell is Darren doing here? Ivy panics.

Standing before her, continuing with her story, Carina hasn't even noticed Ivy has stopped listening. Staring right through the girl, Ivy's eyes connect with a pair of familiar brown ones across the room. Heart jackhammering inside her chest, time-freezing around her, Ivy watches the fair-skinned boy beside him shake his shoulder to snap Darren from his daze. The boy glances at her while saying something to Darren.

"Ivy. That's—that's Ivy, my ex-girlfriend," Darren tells the boy. The words are clear because he is about to approach her. He's walking towards me. Darren is at NYSD and he is walking toward me.

"Earth to Ivy! Girl, what are you looking at?" Carina says to her, pivoting on her feet to face the same direction as her friend. She tucks stray hair from her low bun behind her ear. "Well...hell-lo."

Three other boys of similar height trail behind him; one with light blond hair and ocean blue eyes, another one with amber skin and curls cut close to his head, and the fair-skinned, brunette boy from before. All four draw closer to Jude, Ivy, and Carina, stopping a comfortable distance in front of the three.

"Hi," he breathes nervously, never taking his eyes off of her.

"Hi," Ivy returns, trying to stop her voice from pitching any higher.

What do I do now? Ivy thought to herself. Should we hug or would that be too awkward?

Darren was one move ahead, taking another step with his arms slightly open. Ivy fills the empty space as she hugs him back. His arms wrap around her torso pulling her closer. He felt bigger, more muscular. He still smells the same though. Like sugar cookies.

At least that hasn't changed.

"Sugar cookies and vanilla. What a perfect pairing" is what Darren's mom would tell the two when they were together.

Ivy gives him one final squeeze and then steps back into her respective space. Carina and Jude look for Ivy to introduce them; however, Ivy is discreetly pinching her thigh, trying to see if this encounter is real. The seven of them either take a gander at the people around them or each other. The tension between the groups is weird and graceless. No one knew what to say except Elias.

He goes forward, plastering a charming smile on his face. "This is awkward," Elias states, extending his hand out. "Hi, I'm Elias."

"Very much so. Name's Carina," Carina says, leaning over to shake his much larger hand.

Jude is standing across from him, connecting their own hand with his after Carina. "Jude. My pronouns are they, them."

A 'Huh" sounds from one of the other boys. Everyone's eyes darted to Jayson whose face was twisted in slight confusion. Elias turns to slap Jayson in the chest with the back of his hand. "Their pronouns are they/them. Instead of using he or she, say they, dummy."