𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱 - 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤

UNKNOWN NUMBER: Hey, this is Darren

UNKNOWN NUMBER: Hey, this is Darren. Wanna go out for dinner tomorrow?

IVY: umm sure. Where?

DARREN: Let's say Crispy Corners at 7:30.

IVY: okay. I'll be there

Ivy's eyes run over the short-lived conversation as Carina tries to apply mascara to her eyelashes. The two girls occupy the bathroom with Carina standing in between Ivy's legs while she sits on the toilet lid. Carina tries to go in again with the mascara wand but Ivy glances over the text once more. Throwing her hands down and groaning, Carina returns the wand to the mascara tube, closing it.

"You looked at his messages like fifty million times and it's always the same," she states, slightly annoyed. "Crispy Corners at seven-thirty. Now can I finish your makeup?"

Ivy looked up through her long eyelashes, rolling her eyes. "I told you the most I wanted was a bit of concealer and lip gloss. It's not a date. Stop insisting on more."

"So you're saying there's no chance of rekindling any old flames?"

This time it was Ivy's turn to groan. "For the last time, it is not a date! This just happens to be two old friends catching up. That's it."

A sly smile peeks at Carina's lips as she says, "Old friends who happen to be exes. Look, I'm only asking because there are only two reasons for ever meeting up with an ex; One, you guys want another shot at the relationship, or two, you want to show him how much better you're doing without him. So which is it? One or two?"

"Neither."

Ivy powers off her phone as Carina whispers, "Definitely two."

She turns away from Ivy to face the makeup bag on the sink, fingers feeling about, and pulls out black eyeliner. "Can I please do your eyeliner? Please!"

Ivy nods, knowing her friend won't stop until she adds at least one more finishing touch. Carina takes the cap off the liquid liner while Ivy closes her eyes. The felt tip of the liner felt weird against her eyelids, though she manages not to blink as Carina moves on to her other eye. Finishing up, Carina packs up her makeup bag and the two of them head into Jude and Ivy's room.

Clothes on the floor. Clothes on the dresser. Clothes on the beds. Clothes everywhere. And Jude sat in the middle of it all, scrolling through tiktok.

"Any luck with an outfit?" Carina inquires, moving the pile of clothes on Ivy's bed to take a seat.

Jude drops their phone into their lap, surveying the cluttered room. "Never in my entire life have I had this most trouble finding an outfit! All you have is workout clothes and leotards."

Ivy leans against the door frame, crossing her arms across her chest. "I never asked you to find me an outfit just like I never asked Carina to do my makeup. I still don't understand why you guys are going to such lengths when I keep saying that this isn't a date."