The Audition

"Gotta go, mom. I'm going to be late!" I cried out to her from the rolled-down windows. Punching my delicate and fragile wrist on that already beat-down horn button, hoping she would hurry up. Something that always seems to rile up the neighbors.

"Coming, I'm coming! Jeez, it's only a thirty-minute drive. We'll be there in a jiffy." She shouts, struggling to close the house's front door while still on her phone.

Meanwhile, Thomas runs wild around the front porch in his great youth soccer outfit and practices his goal kicks on mom's tires. The dark blue t-shirt and well-fitted white shorts may have fooled the neighbors into thinking he's an adorable young boy, but he's far from it - very far from it. Thomas is an annoying prick who practically drove every babysitter he's ever had away and seems to know how to get under both my and mom's skin quite well.

He once kicked his soccer coach in his you know what during practice, but coach Miller seems bewitched by his love interest for mom, which is the only reason he is still on the team. If Santa were a bounty hunter, Thomas would be the most wanted on his list for sure.

"Thom, get in the car. Your sister is going to be late!" She screamed as usual.

Welcome to Thomas land, ladies and gentlemen. Here we go. I've seen this movie way too many times and have a pretty good idea of how it ends. This tug of war between mom and Thomas. It usually starts with picking up your toys, Thomas, or you're spending way too much time in front of the TV. Followed by the do this and don't do that, Thomas, etc.

"Does that mean you're dropping her first mom?" He asked, hitting his back against the car seat.

"Yeah, dork, she's dropping me first. Got a problem with that?"

"Honey, don't be so hard on your little brother," she said, cutting insanely through the traffic lanes.

She is honestly not the best driver in town regarding her signals. She once got four tickets and had her car towed in one week. Thank God we live in a small town. How does one manage to get in that much trouble in one week? I wonder what year did she get her license?

"No, no, no, what is this?" She said, hitting the steering wheel as the car slowly came to a halt.

"It's traffic, mom," he said in the back with a smirk.

"Duh, thanks for pointing that out, captain obvious!"

"Smartypants,"

"Shut up, Thom!"

"That's enough, you two. Today is Saturday. There isn't supposed to be any traffic on the highway! Not that early in the morning anyway."

"Great, now I'm going to be late." I scooted over and sighed with my arms closed.

"Why didn't I just take the train?" I said, putting on my speedy black shades as the ray of the sun glinted on the rear-view mirrors.

"Yes, Sarah is going to be late. Sarah is going to be late." Thomas started singing and kicking the back of my seat, trying to taunt me.

"Not if I can help it," she said, roughly cutting through and making a run for the nearest exit.

"Wow, did you guys see that?" Thomas screamed, pointing to the opposite side of the highway.

"See what, Thom?" I said desperately.

"Two angels just flew by real fast."

"Jeez, Thom, angels don't exist. You probably just saw a bird."

"Did not. I know what I saw." He said meekly.

We discovered a car crash had caused the traffic about five kilometers away, and it was a miracle that the driver survived.