Hidden secrets at the Academy

Meantime, Mom had called the cops and filed a missing person report. It's been more than 48 hrs since I was reported missing, and there are two officers on the case. The detectives showed up at the house with their badges and wanted to know more about me and my usual whereabouts. They are now launching a full investigation.

"Hi, are you Ethel Mackinnon?"

"Yes, that's me, and you are...."

"My name is detective John, and that's my partner Josh."

"Did you find my daughter?"

"Not yet, mam, but we're doing our best to find her. We want to ask you a few questions to help with the investigation if you don't mind."

"Sure, come in. Please be seated."

"Tell me, Mrs. Mackinnon, when was the last time you saw or spoke to your daughter?"

"I was supposed to pick her up from work two nights ago but got caught up at work. See, I'm a nurse, and my shifts get hectic sometimes. So, I called and told her I'll be running late... and haven't heard from her since." She muttered, trying to hold back her tears.

"I know this is very painful. Let me know if you wish to stop. Did Sarah sound stressed or said anything unusual?"

"Not that I recall. No, Sarah sounded like her normal self,"

"Has she ever done that before?"

"Done what before?"

"Run away from home for a couple of days and come back."

"Never, Not my Sarah,"

"Have you noticed anything unusual with her lately, like new friends, clothes?"

"Not really, wait... the other day, she came home from that audition sweaty and a little jumpy. She sounded a little upset. I think something went wrong in that audition, and she started dating that nice young fella named Christian."

"What kind of audition was it?"

"Oh, she plays the guitar and was going to audition for the music academy."

"Do you have an address for the place where the audition took place?"

"Sure, I took her there myself. Here you go."

"Thanks, Mrs. Mackinnon. We will follow up with this lead and get back to you. Oh, one last thing, is she on any drugs, prescribed or otherwise?"

"She doesn't do any drugs. My daughter is a sweet girl detective."

"And I don't doubt that, mam. These are just routine questions to help with the investigation."

"Tell me, detective, do you think my daughter is still alive out there?"

"Well, I'll be frank with you, Mrs. Mackinnon...."

"Please, just Ethel will do."

"You have to remain positive. We don't wanna ring the alarm until we know for sure that your daughter is indeed missing or in real danger. Teenagers run away all the time and come back. I promise we'll get to the bottom of this and get back to you."

"Thanks, officers!"

"Goodnight, Ethel, take it easy."

"Did she run away because of me? Is she going to be OK?" Thomas asked, coming down the stairs twitching and rubbing his eyes.

"No, honey, she didn't run away because of you. Your sister loves you very much, do you hear me?"

"OK, Mom,"