2. Showboating.

"Rue, get in here and serve your sister and brother-in-law immediately!" My mother's voice bellowed from the hall, the commanding tone cutting through the silence of our home.

I couldn't help but grit my teeth in anger, though I was determined not to let my true emotions, the hurt that ran deep, show on the surface. Their unexpected visit, just two days after their extravagant wedding, was pushing my patience to its limit.

Especially this late in the night!

I resented the fact that they treated our home like a restaurant, especially when we had so little to begin with. It was painfully clear that their primary reason for being here was Daisy's desire to flaunt her newfound marital status in my face, and that thought only intensified my frustration.

Weren't they supposed to be on honeymoon?

I rose from my bed and made my way to the kitchen. There, I filled two glasses with water, my footsteps echoing in the silence of the house. With the glasses in hand, I entered the room where they all sat, seemingly carefree, engaged in lively conversation. If you asked me that's all they deserved, water.

I stood before David and Daisy, placing one of the glasses on the table without so much as glancing at any of their faces. My resolve was to maintain my distance and not engage further.

But just as I was about to turn and walk away, Daisy, in her typical manner, chose to interrupt my departure with a disruptive comment, halting me in my tracks.

"Well, aren't you going to greet your precious sister and brother-in-law?" Daisy's voice oozed with a smirk that didn't go unnoticed. Her taunting words hung in the air.

Reluctantly, I turned around to face both of them. David kept his head lowered, avoiding eye contact, while Daisy sat there, a smug expression on her face as she looked at me, her hand entwined with David's.

With a tone of feigned indifference, I responded, "If you don't mind, I'm a bit busy." My words conveyed my desire to keep my distance and not be drawn into their games.

"The only thing you've been doing is crying in your room all day, you dimwit," my mother's words cut through the tension, and her criticism stung.

Daisy, on the other hand, persisted with her coaxing. "Busy for your own sister? Come on, Rue. I thought we had put our differences aside. Let bygones be bygones. I'm carrying your niece or nephew, after all," she said, her voice oozing with false sweetness. "Also, David and his family have decided to send me off to college. Yep, we're going to college together."

Gasping at her announcement, I couldn't contain my shock. "But, but, those funds were my funds for me to go to college! How could you do this to me, David? You promised!" I questioned, a hint of desperation creeping into my voice, the realization of my dashed dreams threatening to bring tears to my eyes.

David stood up, his face filled with discomfort as he offered an apology, saying, "I...I'm sorry, Rue."

But my stepfather wasn't willing to let the situation pass. "How dare you raise your voice at our guests?!" he shouted at me, his anger flaring. "Of course, his family was going to help her go to college since they're now married. Are you that stupid? Apologize immediately!" His reprimand echoed through the room, and I felt the weight of their expectations pressing down on me.

I had been clinging to the hope of going to college as a way to escape this oppressive house after David decided to marry my evil stepsister, and now that dream seemed to be slipping away, leaving me feeling trapped as my mother and stepfather's maid forever.

As I watched Daisy with her smug expression, a heavy feeling of defeat washed over me. She had finally managed to take everything away from me, and it left me seething with anger and frustration.