5. Terms and conditions.

I felt a rush of fear as the strikingly handsome man fixed a withering glare upon me, his eyes brimming with nothing but raw hatred.

"I'm...I'm sorry," I stammered, desperation creeping into my voice as I attempted, rather ineffectively, to rectify the mess I had inadvertently made of his pristine suit with my trembling hand.

In a sudden surge of anger, Wyatt gripped my wrist with an iron grip, yanking my hand away forcefully, causing me to wince in agony. He seethed with a vindictive intensity, and my heart raced with confusion, unable to fathom why he was reacting so vehemently. After all, I hadn't collided with him on purpose.

"Next time, watch where you're going, or your damn apology won't cut it," Wyatt's deep green eyes bore into mine with every word he uttered. He then took Mila's hand and walked away, leaving me feeling exasperated and drained.

I let out a weary sigh, perplexed by Wyatt's perpetual anger. I couldn't help but wonder if he was constantly in a foul mood or if he was merely having a particularly bad day. Either way, I resolved to steer clear of his path.

"Where's Mila?" Samuel inquired the moment he returned with the woman, who I presumed was Gretchen, the maid.

"Wyatt was just here and-" I was cut off by Samuel.

"You don't have to go any further," he interrupted, a clear annoyance etched across his face.

Frustrated with Wyatt's unexpected intrusion, Samuel grumbled to himself, "I explicitly told him that I'd take care of this, and he had no reason to be here."

Perplexed by the cryptic conversation and feeling left in the dark, I pressed for more information. "Take care of what, Samuel?"

Samuel shared the reason behind Wyatt's unexpected visit, saying, "Mila's babysitter has fallen ill, and we're in dire need of a replacement. Wyatt has arranged for a few potential candidates, but none of them have really impressed us during the interviews."

Feeling empathy for Mila's situation, I offered, "Oh, that's unfortunate."

Samuel nodded in agreement. "Yes."

Then, I tentatively suggested, "Maybe, since I'm here and not preoccupied, I could look after Mila temporarily until you find a suitable replacement for her?"

Samuel was quick to veto my offer, stating, "No, what you should be doing is resting, not taking on added responsibilities while you're here."

I felt compelled to express my gratitude, saying, "It's the least I could do after you and Wyatt found me and brought me in. Just think about where I'd be now if you hadn't intervened. I'd probably be in the hands of unscrupulous individuals."

Samuel's expression softened, and he paused thoughtfully before responding, "I appreciate your concern, but you're not a burden to us. We're genuinely glad we found you and took you in. Let's take it step by step, and we'll assess the situation. For the time being, focus on regaining your strength."

I nodded in understanding, but there was a sense of determination in my voice as I replied, "I get that, but it's just that I don't want to feel like a burden. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to help out a bit around here. It's not like I have anywhere else to be right now. I'm also tired of feeling bedbound."

"Hazel, I don't know if that would be a good idea," Samuel responded thoughtfully, "I doubt Wyatt would feel comfortable having you around Mila, given that you can't remember anything about yourself. It's essential to prioritize Mila's safety and Wyatt's peace of mind in this situation, and having an unfamiliar presence might complicate things further."