III

BETTY SAT ON her bed at home, staring up at the ceiling

BETTY SAT ON her bed at home, staring up at the ceiling. Some days she'd dream about going back to Puerto Rico, some days she'd dream about her life in New York. Today she dreamt about Riff. He had seemed to consume her thoughts lately for some odd reason.

Betty sat up, placing her head in her hands.

"I don't want to be alone..." she began singing, "I don't want to be driven away."

She stood up and slowly walked to her mirror.

"I've had a life here and there, but it never felt real," she sighed, "Why can't I love? Why can't I be free?"

She let go of the hair that she had put in a ponytail when she came home.

"I want to live, I want to love—feel like I'm floating up above," she shook her hair up, "I want to be equal, I want to love."

She plopped back down to her bed.

"But alas..." she stared back up at the ceiling, "He's still a gringo."

Just then, a knock sounded on her window.

Betty furrowed her eyebrows and moved her curtains, Riff coming into view.

She sighed and unlocked her window, pushing them open. She backed away, and Riff came inside.

"Betty."

She shook her head, "Riff, if you've come to apologize, you're just wasting your breath."

"Come on, Betty," he walked to her, "You can't stay mad at me forever."

"Really?" She walked to her closet and opened it, "Watch me."

Riff came up from behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He rested his head on her shoulder.

"Forgive me, Betty," Riff held her tight, "Please."

"Riff, I don't know..." she slightly looked to her right where his head was, "You're breaking promises left and right."

"I'll make a new one," Riff suggested, "After tomorrow, I won't mess with the spics. I'll be all yours."

Betty sighed. She but the inside of her cheek before glancing up at the curling and back at the closet. "Unzip me."