II

BETTY TOOK A deep breath in, walking into the gym for the Dog Days dance

BETTY TOOK A deep breath in, walking into the gym for the Dog Days dance. Her hair had been combed to the side to hide the bandaid that covered her wound. She also wore an orange dress, complementing her soft makeup.

Riff narrowed his eyes as he caught sight of her. Not a few seconds later, he ditched the blonde girl he was speaking to to come up to her.

"Betty..." Riff stood in front of her, "I see you came."

"I did promise you I would be here, Riff," Betty shrugged, "I also didn't wanna miss the event."

"Right," Riff nodded, biting the inside of his cheek.

His hand slowly went up to her face where he slightly moved her hair out of the way, her slightly bloodied bandaid coming into view.

Betty avoided his eye contact as she moved her head to the side.

"I swear I'm gonna kill 'em," Riff took his hands back.

"No, you're not," Betty shook her head, "Tonight we're gonna dance."

She took his hand and led him to the middle of the gym.

Slow music was on.

She brought his hand to her waist, and their other hand joined together by their side. They slowly swayed.

"Save your anger for another day, Riff," Betty put her head on his shoulder, "Just not here. Please."

Riff rested his head on hers.

"I'll try. I'll try my hardest for you, Betty."

"I'm glad," she smiled, closing her eyes.

The slow music erupted into fast, upbeat Jazz, and almost immediately, they're bodies moved in sync. They separated and joined together again and again. Never once leaving each other, unlike the others who had joined in.

Then, the Puerto Ricans came.

It wasn't long until they both had taken sides of the gym, the Puerto Rican's on the right and the Italians on the left.