Chapter Twenty-Two

Author's Note: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

December

It was near freezing now. A light frost began to cover the streets, which quickly turned into a dusting over snow. Everything looked brighter, fresher. It brought a new energy to everything and everyone. 

Vivienne had felt a new burst of happiness when she'd received her resit grade in the mail - a pass with flying colours. Riff had taken her to dinner when they'd found out. Only a shared burger in the diner, but still. He'd wanted to show her he was proud.

Vivienne was glad to see the Jets beginning to appear in jackets, even scarves and hats. At least their strange masculine resilience ended when the first few snowflakes fell.

"Hey, it's almost knee deep outside today!" Baby John explained when he and a handful of the other Jets came into her apartment one day. 

Riff, laying on the couch in the other room, called over, "So? Snow is snow, Baby J!"

"I know," Baby John replied, somewhat defensively. "But even so. It's exciting."

Mouthpiece ruffled the younger one's hair under his hat. 

"Aw, ain't you elated," he teased. "What, you wanna make a snow angel or somethin'?"

Baby John looked at him, as if he were missing something obvious. "Uhh, yeah. Yeah I do."

Vivienne looked at mouthpiece. "Leave him alone."

"You guys wanna some have a snowball fight?" Baby John asked, sensing a compromise was to be made.

Riff sat up then, coming into the kitchen. "Viv, you wanna go?"

Vivienne shook her head. "No way. But, I think I have some hot chocolate somewhere for when you get back."

"Aw, shit, really?" Mouthpiece asked, suddenly excited. He remembered where he was and looked down. "I mean, whatever."

Later, when the Jets returned, with snow bitten noses and blistered fingers, they squeezed together into the kitchen, shivering and laughing from the excitement. They drank hot chocolate, and Vivienne chose not to point out the layer of snow covering Mouthpiece's back, indicating that he had, in fact, made snow angels.

When the Jets were gone, Riff kissed her. His nose was cold and stinging as it brushed her face, but she didn't mind. Didn't mind at all.

---

When it was time for the Christmas Dance, Riff waited in the living room of Vivienne's apartment. She came in, dressed the same she had the last time they went to a dance together.

"I'm sorry, you'll have to be seen with me in the same outfit as last time," she said, looking in the mirror to pull and tug at her hair. "I can't swing another dress right now. Not before Christmas."

"You could wear a goddamn potato sack and you'd still be the best-lookin' girl there," Riff countered, rising from the couch. 

"Yeah, well I'm not so sure. We have to stop eating so much junk. This was more of a squeeze than I would like," she replied, examining herself in her reflection.

He walked over and wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"You're perfect and you know it. And you don't gotta get me nothin', you know," he spoke into the back of her neck. "I ain't got a Christmas present since I was a kid. Won't make a difference now."