Chapter Twenty-Six

Author's note: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

Vivienne ran down to the police station immediately after, but Riff was not there.

He had been taken to another bigger station downtown. It wasn't the smaller, almost half-heartedness that she was used to on their side of things, but rather a harsher and more rule-abiding force that told her Riff wasn't to have any visitors. 

So for a week, she sat around the kitchen table with the Jets in Riff's apartment, wringing their hands and trying to work out what would happen next.

Ice explained that Riff was sure to see jail time, but the question was how long? Where? Baby John disappeared with only Ice knowing his location. He would check in on him and report back to Vivienne and the others. 

There as anger. Savage anger that resulted in raised voices and glasses thrown across the room, just to have something to take it out on. Ice let it happen, understanding that they needed to vent. Which is exactly why, Vivienne suspected, he did not tell anyone else where Baby John was. Not until they calmed down enough to listen to reason. 

Ice was articulate and sensitive, explaining things in a way the rest of the Jets could understand.

Even Vivienne couldn't hold the resentment in her heart for too long. Baby John had been stupid, yes, but Riff had made the decision all on his own to help him. He knew what he was doing, and he did it anyway. 

Riff's actions were the actions of a leader, of a carer, and Baby John's were the actions of a scared, restless soul. She knew she had to forgive them both.

The Jets were not allowed anywhere near the court when the sentence was ruled. But Vivienne was allowed in, and sat listening to the words that knocked her through and pierced every part of her.

Twelve months in Rikers Island. 

She watched Riff listen to his own sentence as he sat there calm, cool. His face only changed when he looked at her to watch her closely, taking in her face - her eyes, her lips - before mouthing; "It's okay. I love you."

When she went outside, the Jets were waiting. She told them the news, watching as their faces changed from shock, to anger, to acceptance. She watched as Ice shifted, realising what he was now to do. Everyone was now his responsibility until Riff got back. He only allowed himself a moment of faltering before he returned to his body.

Vivienne slept in Riff's bed that night, weeping and talking to nobody. Trying to sooth herself and stay level headed.

It's only twelve months, she told herself. He's coming back.

Only twelve months.

Twelve months seemed like it would stretch on forever without him there.

---

In the first month, she counted the days until she could go and see him. The night before, she could barely sleep, waiting up until the sun creeped in through the windows and sitting fully dressed in her kitchen until it was time to go. Before she left, she ran to the bathroom and vomited, her stomach churning from anxiety.

She took the ferry to Rikers, going through the motions feeling like she was in a dream. It was only when she saw Riff that she knew it was real.

He looked tired, but well enough. When he saw her, there was a sparkle in his eyes and an energy that came, flickering through his veins. He sat opposite her, divided by mesh wiring that meant they couldn't touch. Around them, she could hear the hushed conversations of others there, and she wondered bitterly how many of them were there because they had done something for someone else.