45

FIVE YEARS LATER

          Melena stood in the bathroom. She stood facing the mirror, but wasn't necessarily focused on her appearance. Lost in thought, she struggled to remember the days, the weeks— it had been quite a while since she'd had her period, right? Before she knew it, she'd zoned out, a hand resting on her lower belly, a shiver running down her spine.

It couldn't be, could it? The frown on her face deepened, thinking about how time had flown by so easily, about what the future might hold, about what Pierre might think. Was this bad timing? Was Pierre ready? Was she ready? They had barely discussed this yet, having kids... what if this would result into a break up, worse than the one they'd experienced six years ago. What if he'd blame it on her? What if he left her?

Sucking in a deep breath, Melena knew she was making herself worry too much. The Frenchman, who now drove for Red Bull Racing, wouldn't be that heartless, right?

Still, she couldn't help but worry and fret and overthink. And after minutes of that, the brunette considered the good side of things, because with Pierre turning thirty this year, wouldn't it be finally time? What was good timing anyway? They were mature enough. Their love was strong. They trusted each other, love each other.

She'd never had a scare, not once within these amazing years with him. And this being the first time, Melena could feel herself grow scared, but there was also happiness.

She could see herself being a mother, like her own, like her sister, like Kelly, like Valerie.

There was only one option. And that was to drive herself to the nearest pharmacy, to buy a pregnancy test and to take it. She could feel her heart fastening up its pace at the thought of it, of seeing the stick show its positive side. Would would she do then? How would she tell him?

Without any hesitation at all, Melena soon left her French home that she'd been sharing with her boyfriend for three years. The drive was slow, but fast at the same time. It was the most nerve wrecking drive of her life, and yet she could feel herself driving closer to happiness.

»‍ ‍ »‍ ‍ »

»‍       ‍ »‍       ‍ »