Chapter 4

CODY

“Mom and Dad said you were going to be here today, but I thought it was a lie.”

Emory, my younger sister, stands on the front porch of my parent’s house with her arms crossed over her chest. I didn’t tell her I was coming home on purpose. Mom and Dad are always excited when I show up, even if just for a short visit, but Emory always gives me shit. I guess today is going to be no different.

“Hey, Ems. Is that any way to welcome your big brother home? What about a big hug instead?”

“You haven’t been gone that long, why do you think I need to hug you?”

“I thought it was pretty clear that I’m your favorite brother and you miss me every moment that I’m not here.”

Emory cackled, but still walked down the steps and threw her arms around me. “You’re ego is too big for this small town, Cody. No wonder you hate this place.”

“I don’t hate this place, it just never felt like home.”

“Then what are you doing back so soon?”

Her question was valid. I don’t come back very often unless there is something major going on. Once Blair and I finalized our divorce, I found every excuse in the world to not visit. Hayes could come to visit me wherever I was at that time and then I wouldn’t have to accidentally run into Blair. Avoidance was how I protected myself. Was it the most mature thing? No way, I even knew that back then. Did I do it anyway? All the time.

“I didn’t realize I had to make a reason to come back to visit,” I reply, trying to avoid answering the question. See? Avoidance.

“All I’m saying is that you’ve gone years without stepping foot in this town and in the last year you’ve been here four times. Hell, this is the second time in just a month.”

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you didn’t want me to be here.”

“You’re such an asshole. I never said that, Cody. I’m just curious, that’s all. Is everything okay with Hayes?”

“Geez, Emory,” I sigh, “Everything is fine with Hayes, I just wanted to come back home, okay?”

“Okay, okay,” she puts her hands up in the air, “I give up. I’m glad you’re here no matter what the reason.”

“Where are Mom and Dad?”

“They are out sharing samples of the new vintage. Dad opened the barrel the other day and almost jumped for joy at the taste. They’re already anticipating a sell-out without even sharing the samples yet.”

“Did you taste it?”

“Did I taste it?” She scoffs, “I bottled myself one to take home last night. It is even better than last year’s and that says a lot because last year’s was excellent.”

“I had some when Claire and I were back here for the Strawberry Festival, it was really good.”

“Claire, didn’t hear that name the last time you were here.”

“I didn’t think it was appropriate to spend my son’s graduation talking about my ex-girlfriend.”

“You’re probably right. Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not especially. We just weren’t feeling it anymore.”

“That sounds ominous.”

“Seriously, Em, I don’t want to talk about it. I came here to get away and clear my mind, can I do that without the interrogation?”