Chapter 39

CODY

“I’m nervous, Cody.”

Blair has been quiet the entire drive to her doctor’s office. I could tell she was a bundle of nerves on our drive here, but I didn’t want to bother her too much. Blair is the kind of woman that cannot be pressured into talking, she has to be ready to share. We’re sitting in the parking lot of the office and I guess now is the time.

“What’s going on in that pretty little head of yours, Bear?” The car is in park, so I’m able to angle in her direction and take her hands in mine. I want her to know that she has all of my attention.

“You’re going to tell me that I’m crazy, but I just keep thinking of everything that could go wrong in there. I’m old..”

“You’re not old,” I interrupt her.

She just rolls her eyes and continues, “I’m old for having a baby, Cody. You’ve been at the appointments, she’s already reminding me that I’m considered an advanced maternal age patient.”

“That doesn’t mean shit. None of the things they said could go wrong have gone wrong. You didn’t even have bad morning sickness. All your appointments have been easygoing. She said you have the blood pressure of a twenty-something and you passed that one test with the gross orange drink.”

“That’s what has me so nervous.”

“I’m trying to understand your fears, Blair, but from what I can tell you’re having the picture-perfect pregnancy.”

“I’m so scared that means something is going to come tumbling down. Everything has been perfect and they’re going to find something wrong today and then we’ll have to deal with that.”

I take a deep breath and squeeze her hands for comfort. “Okay, I hear you and I understand your concerns. So what would we do if something were wrong?”

“I don’t know. I guess it depends on what they might find.”

“All I know is if, and I’m saying a giant if, they find anything wrong, we will face it head on the way we would face anything else and that is together,” I punctuate with a kiss on her forehead.

“You really know how to make me feel better and calm me down.”

“It’s a gift of mine, what can I say?”

Just as she was starting to open her mouth to say something else, we see Hayes’s car pull up. He had class this morning so he was meeting us here and then would go back to school once we were done. Our friends would be waiting until this weekend, but Hayes could know the secret today. We got out of the car and joined Hayes, I can tell she was feeling a lot better as we walked into the office and got checked in. We didn’t have to wait long before they were calling us back into the ultrasound room. Something about being in this room made things feel real. We were having another baby. We were growing our family. I was the luckiest man in the world.

—-

“Just give me a small hint, Hayes!” Hayes shook his head and I had to pull Emory away from her nephew for the hundredth time tonight. 

“Stop badgering him, Em. You’re not finding out until everybody else finds out.”

“You’re so unfair, that’s my niece or nephew we’re talking about, I can’t even get a little hint?” Now she was giving me those damn puppy dog eyes and even pouting her lip.

“That isn’t going to work on me,” I flick her lip and she tucks it back in. “I’ve been immune to that for at least twenty years now.”

“That is such crap. At least tell me that you really did find out and the two of you didn’t decide last minute to be Team Green.”