Chapter 5

-January 14th, 3166
-U.S.S. Wyoming, Hyperspace

The marine barracks of the Wyoming was in a flurry of activity, with her compliment of marine grunts readying themselves for the battle that they were just about to get involved in.

Unlike ships in the traditional navy, all ships part of the marine corps had their hangars designed to accommodate a barracks and garage for ground vehicles for deploying surface forces. The size depending on the vessel itself.

The Wyoming as a battlecruiser was one of the largest ship types in the Corps, capable of holding over four hundred marines, ten Nightingale dropships, and ten MA1 Abrams main battle tanks.

The MA1 Abrams had its name and design adopted from the original 21st century American M1 Abrams main battle tank. Sharing similar characteristics and profile from the original. Like the 21st century model using depleted uranium in it's armor, the 32nd century model used neutronium in it's armor composition, being one of the first ground vehicles to incorporate the material. It's main armament featured a single heavy laser gun with a bore diameter of 120mm, with a lighter coaxial heavy blaster and roof mounted gun remotely controlled from within. Protection came not just from the armor, but from it's own energy shields that were capable of absorbing and distributing energy and kinetic based attacks. The tank was capable of reaching speeds over two hundred kilometers per hour, but was governed and limited to a hundred and fifty given how such speed were ludicrous and unnecessary for such a vehicle. Powered by a micro fusion reactor that provided all the power needed for the vehicle to drive, shoot, and maintain the protective energy shields.

The marine corps included other assets such as other vehicles and combat droids used on the field to aid infantrymen and assault teams in their objective and mission. The thing that made the marine corps unique was their ability to serve as both a ground and naval force.

"Move it out leathernecks! Get your gear on and get set! Today is go time for us! Move! Move! Move!"

The troopers in the barracks were attaching armored chest pieces which when activated extended out into a full suit of powered assault armor with the use of programable matter. Fit with a heads up display, tracking systems, thrusters, energy shields, life support, impact compensation, and other gadgets used on the field. The programable matter allowed the armor to adjust itself at the wearer's desire, and allowed easy repairs to be made if it were damaged.

Like all ground forces, the marines had undergone both genetic and surgical augmentations in enhance their combat performance. However compared to the Army, the Marine Corps received better and more powerful augmentations. Such augmentations included increase in muscle growth and bone density, graphing of hardened ceramic material to skeletal structure and joints, graphing of harden fibers to skin and tissue, reaction timing increased by five hundred percent, enhanced immune system to counter both cancers and foreign diseases, increased perception and visibility, increased oxygen intake and retention, increased nutrient and carbohydrate intake from supplements, and additional lungs with an extra heart.

Overall, the augmentations made the marines ten times stronger and more resilient, bones, joints, skin, and muscles were virtually indestructible, able to better process toxins and fight off diseases or cancers developed during service, night vision and sharper vision, intake more micronutrients than natural for body upkeep, improved blood circulation and clotting, survive in non breathable atmospheres for one hour, reduced aging and increased life expectancy, and increased reaction timing and self awareness. However there came a risk of defects that may potentially occur during the augmentation procedure, requiring therapy to reverse the augmentation effects before undergoing the augmentation again. Fortunately those who underwent the therapy have an increased twenty percent success rate to their body properly accepting the augmentations.