FOUR―Fire and Blood.

(𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗢𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹𝘀; 1x4, 𝗠𝗲𝗿𝗹𝗶𝗻; Post s5)

..••°°°°••..

"Do me a favour and leave Agnes. Or at least shut up; your incessant yapping has me wanting to drown in the Mississippi." Emery says, narrowing her eyes at the witch who continued going on, trying to convince the supposed human to take her offer of having someone check her little parasite's health.

"See," Hayley gestures to the annoyed raven-haired woman who had a scowl on her lips. "Emery's perfectly fine.

"You are overdue for a checkup." Agnes insists making Emery roll her eyes and continue flipping through her magazine.

"What is she gonna do? Pop into the Quarter for a quick ultrasound? A pregnant human escorted by a werewolf and witch?" Hayley retorted sarcastically, throwing her hands up and earning a chuckle from Emery. "Nothing to see here!"

"A lot of women would kill to have a child. It strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours." Rebekah said, a mild jealous tone lacing her voice.

"Projecting, are we, dear?"

It wasn't that Emery didn't feel for Rebekah; there couldn't be anyone who related more. She used to dream of the whole white-picket-fence life as a child, always wanting to have a child to raise with as much love as her father and grandmother provided her, but that was crushed early on. She made peace with the fact she'll never experience normal. And no child deserved Emery as a parent.

"Emery's a doctor." Hayley jumped into the sorceresses' defense to defuse the tension rapidly growing in the room. "She knows she and her baby are fine."

"She's a cardiologist and surgeon, not an obstetrician." Rebekah retorted, not looking up from her laptop, an edge in her tone.

The sorceress furrowed her brows. "How the hell do you know that?"

"Nik told me." Rebekah says simply.

Emery tended to forget that she and Niklaus had a heart-to-heart, sharing sob stories about the freelance artist with daddy issues and the depressed cardiologist. She recalled that fancy bottle from behind the bar, tension loosening, and Nik talking; he just kept talking until the air shifted and her nails dug into his shoulder blades, his lips were on her neck, each marking bruises on the other's body right on the countertop.

They spent the afternoon with another shared bottle of that fancy shit and stumbled their way through a day event in Hyde Park before intent on getting back to Nik's hotel room, and even then, he just kept talking until Emery had enough and shut him up, their lips harshly on top of one another, teeth biting down onto soft skin and tearing it open. She liked it when he strained speaking, however, noted the smirk on his lips as she did so, and from then on, it was purely raw and exhilarating breathy moans mixing together through the night.