seventeen

the room has been quiet for minutes. awful minutes. every eye is on me as the nobles take in the dress that has been tightened beyond limits and feels as if the seamstress has sewn it onto my actual skin, judging by all the times she accidentally poked me with her needle. 

"she looks blue," emmanuel notes as he takes a step to see the order side of me. i am too forkless to deal with these men currently. 

"she does," harry nods, agreeing as he continues to rub his chin like does he have any knowledge on female ball attire in any sense. 

"a bit flushed, too, perhaps," coast continues there marks about me, and i suddenly feel like i am on the front stairs again. this time, however, the gates could be open all they wanted, i wouldn't be able to move in inch in this. 

my cheeks are burning up from the frustration of these men. they were all led here by a servant just minutes after we finished detailing the dress. it was quite beautiful, if i was being completely honest, and it fit me well. it squished all the right places to go in, and let other places flow out as they wished. i liked it, but standing on the little platform in front of too many mirrors and nobles studying me from each angle, i wanted to vomit. 

"it must have taken strain to be into such a tight dress," nathaniel nods along, as he studies the back on the dress. it is laced with a white ribbon at the bottom, just above the spot where the dress curves slightly outwards in the form of my own bottom. 

"why are they even here?" i mumble under my breath towards the seamstress, who is busy packing down her things into smaller boxes. 

"because they all need to know who they are looking for at the night of the ball." mercer's voice spreads throughout the room, as he answers me. he hadn't been in here before, but he surely was now. 

why would they be looking for me? i turn around, which takes a little while, but at last, i meet his eyes. "i can barely move in this. i don't believe i will be able to run very far," i say. 

mercer nods, a satisfied smile spreading on his lips. "they are not keeping you inside the castle anymore, the dress is. i have simply instructed all my nobles to concern for your safety during the evening."

"why wouldn't i be safe without it?" i question. "it is just a ball, my king." 

"am i to expect that you will behave perfectly by my side all evening, maire-grace?" mercer nears me, slowly. he doesn't break eye contact, even as his hand slides up to touch the side of my face. 

"by your side?" 

mercer sighs quietly, before taking both my hands in his. "when the storms subside, there will be a ball. hosted in the castle. it will be the queen's welcoming ball. it is an ancient tradition, marking the beginning of your rule as queen. so, yes, you will be expected to be seen by the side of the king, which is me." he explains it to me like was i a toddler. i roll my eyes. 

"the lack of oxygen must have affected her brain already," noble nathaniel said from behind mercer. i moved to the side, placing both hands on each of his shoulders attempting to jump of the platform but i was quickly caught by mercer's arms. i struggled against him as i tried going after his brother, but the grib the king had on me was strong.