VII.

The count had led me into his kitchen, and let me tell you, it was nothing I had expected. The theme of light Mediterranean decor had continued in here as well, which was such a mystery to me, given this kind of atmosphere is best enjoyed in the sunlight -something the Count had no access to. Flowers and beautiful vintage vases everywhere, dark, wooden cabinets and furniture - expensive looking for sure, but not the flashy kind that nobles - and a man of Montgomery's bloodline - would keep in their home. The moonlight shined in, contrasting the warmth of the candles lit all over the room. 

He stepped to a little closet with glass doors and opened it, revealing quite the supply of wine bottles.

"Let me see...  What do you say for this one?" he pulled out one of the black-inked bottles and stuck it under my nose. I smiled a bit confused, trying not to be rude about his mistake - I didn't want to be the one alerting him that it was still sealed, but he didn't seem to notice himself. 

"It appears to be closed." I noted politely, and only then did he glance in my direction, seemingly not understanding the problem.

"Trust me and smell it." his eyes sat on me with reassurance and knowledge, like a teacher watching his student doubt himself. 

Still unsure, I leaned ahead, my eyes kept on him as I was most hesitant to believe he didn't just forget that I wasn't a Vampire. 

I inhaled near the plug, and my mouth and lungs suddenly filled with a fruity, slightly sour smell. My eyes widened in shock as I took another greedy breath, trying to make as much out of the scent as I could. Grapes, and perhaps... Lavender? 

Excited and frankly thrilled by the experience, I glanced back up at the Count, who was smiling, seemingly celebrating my success in his own, subtle way. 

What a beautiful damned man that was... And what a beautiful damned smile. Soft as a breeze, yet gaze so sharp you practically beg to be under him if given the chance. 

"Have you not experimented much with your new abilities?" he asked, pulling the bottle away as he awaited my answer. 

"It seemed overwhelming to think too much about it." 

"Mmm... I see. Has your hunger remained after the ball?" he followed up, whilst turning back to the counter and opening the wine. He took out another bottle as well, and opened it, seemingly making some kind of mixture of the two. Odd enough, but I didn't want to be rude, it was his house after all. 

"No... Well not really." 

"Not really?"

"I don't know how to say this without being improper." He chuckled lightly, as he offered me my glass. I glanced at the red liquid, a bit alarmed by the colour.

Don't get me wrong, it looked perfectly like red wine, yet when it's offered by a Vampire, you do think twice before just gulping it down. 

"I'm not particularly shy, Dantes." his words made me look up, and wishing I never did. His gaze caught mine once more, intimate and tantalizing - he had no business sounding like every perfect innuendo every time he spoke. 

"Of course... Usually neither am I." I muttered to myself, circling the wine in my glass to win some time. 

"My hunger returns from time to time, in more... intimate settings." 

"My, my, you were blushing so much I anticipated something much more scandalous." 

If I wasn't blushing before (which I would like to believe, since I don't do it often), now I surely had to be pink like a rose. The Count flashed me a teasing smile before stepping away from the counter. He walked around me, his own glass in hand, and he took a seat near the window.