Four Horsemen - The Black Rider

"That's daylight robbery," retorted Emma as she paid a month's wages for barely enough groceries to tide her through a few days.

She still had credits stashed away for selling off Ava, something she's not proud of but had to do to survive. Even that might last another week or two at most.

Emma trudged out of the food distribution tent. Blackened ruins of a once proud business district extended far as her eyes could see.

A blade sliced her arm as a teen relieved her of her supplies, laughing as he ran. Someone smacked the back of her head throwing her face down into a muddy puddle. By the time she managed to pull herself up, her assailants had disappeared.

 By the time she managed to pull herself up, her assailants had disappeared

No matter, her arm would be healed instantly when she worships the beast. The prophet that accompanied the beast worked miracles for all his worshippers.

Nursing her wound, she trudged home empty-handed. Such was the brave new world. The only law was to worship the beast, then do as you please. Physical strength and power were the only things that mattered.

The only building standing was a bomb shelter, not for people, but for oil, wine and luxury goods reserved for the elite. For citizens of Babylon, the home of the highest ranking in the new world order.

Pain forgotten, Emma pressed her face against the bullet proof glass, staring longingly at the beautiful displays of the finest luxuries the world had to offer.

-------

"That's all?" Ava's stomach growled in disappointment as the chef spooned 1 scoop of gruel into her waiting bowl

"You'll get used to it. It has all the nutrients you need," replied Jayden looking at his own meagre dinner.

"I'm hungry, especially after all that training," whined Ava

"You're fat," snarked Jayden, ducking Ava's swipe at his face.

*******

Notes

Revelation 6:5-6 And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine.