20. Max

He didn't want to admit it to himself, even if he didn't win the race he had with Kalki he did have fun. It had been a while since he could describe something as fun, there were way too many things going on his life, in his mind to even think about having fun. Winning a world championship didn't ease that pain, sure it was an achievement he worked hard for, but it didn't fix everything.

Why didn't he feel happy? He pushed his thoughts away and headed to the lobby, Kalki was already waiting for him. Kai and her family were here too, Kai was showing Kalki some stretches. Max figured her body was still sore from karting. A part of him wanted to believe he let her win.

"So what restaurant have you picked out Kai?" He asked.

"I saw a Pizzeria on the way here, can we go there?" She said.

"Pizzeria? Kai you won a championship! It deserves a bigger celebration." Kalki insisted.

"Well yeah but I'm craving Pizza!" She rolled her eyes.

"Wherever the champion wants to go." He chimed in, "to the pizzeria that's ten minutes away we go!"

"You confuse me so much Kai." A young woman shook her head, Max studied her face. She had features similar to Kai, sharp green eyes and dark hair, there was something really beautiful about her demeanour. He caught himself staring at her and decided to look away before it got awkward.

The group made their way to the pizzeria, occupying a large table. Kai had started placing an order for what she wanted well before everyone else was seated, fate was playing games with him, Kylie sat opposite to him with Kalki by her side.

Kalki introduced him to all of Kai's family, his eyes lingered a little longer on Kylie's than he would have liked. Max was stealing glances at her the entire time this dinner party lasted, Kylie excused herself to go use the restroom. He could see Kalki leaning in closer, wanting to talk to him.

"Meet me outside right now." She glared.

"That's a weird request." He smirked.

"I don't want to discipline you in front of a teenager, I'm saving you embarrassment." Kalki said, pushing her chair back to get up.

"I'll be right back, I need to discuss something with him privately." She smiled at the table.

Max followed her, against his wishes, really not wanting to hear the words of wisdom she had for him. "Make it quick." He sighed.

"I see the way you're looking at Kylie and I don't like it." She stated.

"Why not? Are you jealous?" He leaned on the wall behind him.

She was getting worked up, her face was a bright red, it wasn't a cute blush. It was actual rage, that made her dark eyes look even darker, "I'm not jealous, I'm sorry for her. I don't encourage my clients mixing pleasure with business and I certainly don't want two of my clients to be caught in one fucked up web."

"I'm interested in Kylie Webber, last time I checked you don't work for her." He shrugged, walking away from her.

Now he had all the more a reason to seek Kylie if she was interested too. Clearly she was, maybe he was reading too much into her smiles at him, either way he was going to make a move. After dinner, Kai said she was exhausted and wanted to sleep, her parents agreed and decided to leave.

"That leaves the three of you youngsters all by yourselves." Adrian said, getting into the car.

"Have fun! But not too much. Kylie you better be in Antwerp when I call you tomorrow morning." Cordelia yelled out of the window.