26. Kalki

It was Friday morning, Max's birthday. As usual she sent him over a reminder of what his day was going to look like, except for it wasn't going to look like that. At all. Half of the events she had put on their weren't even real.

Kalki found him eating breakfast with his father, his usually piercingly sharp eyes looked dull and glum today. She greeted them both a good morning and took a seat next to him, "happy birthday Mister Verstappen." She smiled.

He looked at her with slight confusion on his face, maybe even surprised,  "thank you." He managed to say.

The rest of breakfast continued awkwardly as Jos went on speaking about his big plans for Max and his future, Max didn't look the slightest bit thrilled. It's like he wasn't even paying attention. Kalki cut it short by saying Max needed to get to track early today, he had some affairs that needed to be attended before lunch.

"Let me come too then." Jos said.

"Oh no Mister Jos, it's all marketing and ad shooting. Quite boring honestly, I'll have the chauffeur come pick you up before the practice sessions." Kalki suggested.

"Okay, good idea. See you both later then." He said.

"Come on." She looked at Max.

She led him to the where apparently the chauffeur was waiting for them, Max was clearly surprised to find a nice convertible waiting for him. He looked back at her, like he was waiting for an explanation.

"Do you want to drive or should I?" She asked.

"I'll drive, but what happened to the SUV that was supposedly mine for the weekend?" He asked opening the door to get in.

"Let's get out of the portico first," she instructed, "I'll tell you more as we get going."

He followed the navigation instructions she gave him. Max was quick to realise they were not in fact going towards the paddock, he looked at her again. Kalki was enjoying this look of concern on his face.

"Okay I lied. I lied about your schedule for today and you having to be at track early."

"Then what are you doing? Are you kidnapping me?"

"No." She rolled her eyes, "I'm letting you escape what's bothering you for one day. You have until the FIA press conference to be a free man."

"So where are you taking me? Why couldn't you just tell me like a normal manager?"

"I heard from the team that you're fond of pets, so you're off to a farm animal shelter. No one can know about it."

"Why?" He asked.

"I may or may not have lied a lot to get you out of quite a lot of media duties.  If they find out Mister Verstappen declined interviews to play with piglets I don't think they'll be happy." She laughed.

He looked at her funny, with an expression that was so unfamiliar to her. Was that what his actual smile looked like? Eyes scrunched at the corner and a grin so big it looked like it was going from ear to ear. She looked away from him, down at the phone in her hand, as expected journalists were still trying to reach them. Trying to request at least a few words with Max in private.

"So what is the exact lie I'm playing along with?" He asked.

"That you felt slightly lightheaded, felt a little too jet lagged."

"That's... an interesting lie." He said.

"It's what would let you still participate in the race but keep you away just the right amount." She rolled her eyes.