25. Max

He wasn't particularly excited about having his father around after everything that went down, to add to it, it was his birthday. He didn't want to have Jos around to kill the buzz, and he certainly didn't want to celebrate with him. But he know just like old times he was going to have a birthday dinner, maybe a drink or two and hear the only words of kindness he'll hear from him in a while.

Max let go of those thoughts as he exhaled, bringing his mindfulness practice for this morning to an end. He looked at the unbelievably detailed schedule Kalki had made for him, she had got minute details like what kind of training, where he was going to eat his meal, the meeting he was going to attend and who was going to be part of it and all that down.

Max: Do you have like absolutely nothing to do? Who tf makes plans in such depth?

Sulky Kalki: That is my job, so no. I don't. People that don't "go with the flow" make structured plans, you should try it

Max: Take all the jabs you want at me. Why haven't you written down what meal I should eat the restaurants too?

Sulky Kalki: We can plan that over breakfast too 🙂 be there in five minutes or it'll through your whole schedule off and then you won't get any free time

Max: Jeez. Someone's feeling awfully nice today.

Max chuckled putting his phone away, he'd gotten more under her skin than he could have hoped for. Kalki was already at the restaurant, she was flipping through the menu when he entered. She gave him a nod as an acknowledgment.

"Just a word of advice for the future, try informing before hand if you're travelling with someone." She said.

"Good morning to you too." He said taking a look at the menu.

"Good morning. Now coming back to what I said." She glared at him. He could feel the intensity she was looking at him in.

"How's the search for Kai's F4 seat going?"

"Can we talk about your issues first?"

Max decided to back off now, she was clearly getting very angry very fast. Probably a lot of things running on her mind, hopefully none concerning what he had told her about his past.

The waitress had arrived, both of them put on their most fake smiles and ordered food. Sitting for silence in a while, giving Kalki time to cool down before Max pushed her buttons some more.

"Go on." Max crossed his arms.

"Why is he here?" She looked like she had genuine worry in her eyes, something he doubted she was capable of feeling.

"He's my dad, he can come to support me whenever he wants."

She shook her head, almost as if she was disappointed with his answer, "then is there anything you're willing to be transparent about with me?"

"Thanks!" He grinned at the waitress bringing their food. He looked back at Kalki "You ask and we'll find out."

"When did the break up happen?"

"Recently."

"Who knows?"

"You, me and my journaling app."

"Oh. So, do you want to talk about it?"

"No." He shrugged her off.

"Fair enough." She took a sip of her coffee. "You have your schedule for the day, try being ready for the dinner by 7:30 pm the streets tend to get a little congested."

"The presser is over?" He teased her.

"I've decided not do anything for you that's beyond what I'm being paid for." She moved to eating her breakfast.

"Alright then."

They ate their breakfast in silence and left without saying so much as a goodbye, Kalki left to make calls and discuss things with Raymond. Max headed to his room, he gathered his things and headed to the hotel's gym. His trainer Bradley had set everything up, pretty much like what Kalki had described.

"What are you laughing at Max?" Bradley asked, looking at Max in confusion, he was laughing as he did his warm up.

"Did my manager come ask you for my training schedule? The travelling one."

"Kalki? Yeah! She asked everyone on Team Max for their plans for you the week, starting with me. An honour."

"She's very funny like that."

"What's funny? I think it's really smart she's made you a consolidated calendar so you can see all your stuff at one glance."

"In excruciating detail." He rolled his eyes.

"I thought you enjoyed perfectionism." Bradley laughed.

"I do! Just not when it's from her."

"Alright Max very funny, give me ten push ups."

"Why?" He looked at him in confusion.

"Every time you use the time you could have used to perform an exercise to talk smack about your new manager you will give me ten push ups."

"She put you on this didn't she?" He looked at him, getting ready to perform push ups.

"Less talk more movement come on!"

Max grumbled but did the ten push ups anyway, he finished his training with another ten push ups because he just needed to be able to get rid of his annoyance towards Kalki.

He took a shower and decided to tell his dad know he was ready to head to track, Kalki let him know she was already the track. The marketing team wanted to discuss some things with her before hand, she knew they'd get busy when he came down to the track.

Max got into the car with Jos, if there was someone enjoying all the attention from people and media as they entered the parking lot, it was him. On the other hand Max just didn't want to be stopped for photos right now, Kalki had planned way too much of a hectic day for him. Debriefing followed by a chat with a sponsor, marketing duties later lunch with a sponsor, followed by more sessions with engineers and to end it all- dinner with another sponsor. One too many sponsor events for his liking.

Kalki was addressing a table full of media and PR officers, all of them seem to be taking down notes of some sort. One of them made eye contact with him and quickly nudged the other.  Soon all of them put away their things and continued like nothing was happening, Kalki too looked down at her phone as if she wasn't just telling all of them what to do.

"Planning my downfall while I was away?" He asked.

"Oh no you do self sabotage quite well." She took a jab at him.

"I'll be off to the engineers then."

"Okay. Also, the offer to decline sponsor meetings is still on the table, you just say the word and I'll cancel them all."

"No Burman, I look forward to attending each one of them in your company."

"Of course you do mister Verstappen." She smiled.

"We're being formal I see."

"You call me Burman all the time so I think Mister Verstappen is fitting. Just Verstappen is too rude."

"Yeah makes it sound like-"

"We're buddies that go way back. Which we are not. Alright then, see you in a bit. I'll be with Anna if you need anything." She walked away.

He thought what he said over and over while walking to where the engineers and analysts were, buddies that go way back. Which we are not. Then what were they? Enemies? At this age? That felt too childish.