47. Kalki

The conversation over breakfast was difficult, but she managed to get through it. Even if she felt like she was slowly crumbling apart on the inside. It felt unfair, everything that happened was unfair.

Kalki had held it together very well, she just had to email her statement to Anna. Hold on just a little longer she said to herself, but her mind clearly has other plans. The minute she shut her room's door behind her back the tears started flowing.

This year had been full of ups and downs, she lost a man that made her feel a little less lonely, she'd pretty much ended her career in the fashion industry and now that she finally felt like she had a fresh beginning it all fell apart because of one night of cloudy judgement.

The sobs turned into a breakdown, she'd spent her whole life chasing big ambitions and now it was all snatched. For once in her life she felt helpless, and it was an awful feeling she hoped would go away. She tried to stop crying, thinking about Kai, how happy she'd be to hear that now Kalki would be looking after her affairs full time.

Raymond didn't seem angry, he was just disappointed that things ended up the way they did. Which made her feel even worse. It made her feel a lot of rage. Why did she have to suffer so much? Why did Max get away with no repercussions? He was just as responsible for what happened. But his career was not on the line. Nor did anyone voice their disappointment at him.

It made her feel sick. She checked her phone, it was just a little over 11 AM. Her belongings were all over the room, gathering them would take some time. It surprisingly didn't take too long to dump everything into her bags and run a check on if she had indeed packed everything.

The lobby was filled with people trying to check out before 12 PM so that they won't be charged for another night. The hotel concierge noticed Kalki and called her over to the desk.

"What can I help you with?" He asked.

"I'd like to check out." She said handing over the key card.

"You're with the Red Bull team right?"

"Yeah. I'm aware we're here for two more days. But something came up so I'll be leaving early." She explained, even if the concierge probably didn't care.

"Oh. I see." He said preparing the bill.

"Please use this to settle the charges." Kalki said giving him her personal credit card.

"You'd like to settle the bill? Not add to tab for later when the whole group checks out?"

"No. Please charge it to this." She said. A part of her was tempted to just let it be. After all this was all Max's fault. But she was the bigger person she claimed. She'd show him what it's like to take responsibility for your actions. To be held accountable.

"I hope you enjoyed your stay with us." He said handing over her card.

"I did! As a last request. Is it possible to have someone drop me to the airport?"

"Yes of course! Please go wait out front, I'll have a chauffeur sent to you." He said.

"Thank you so much."

Kalki gathered her bags and headed out to the portico, in a few minutes a sedan stopped by. The chauffeur helped her load her luggage and she was off to the airport.

You: I'm on my way to the airport I'm coming home on the first flight I can find home today.

Ani: ???

Neel: Exactly my thoughts right now

Ma: That's surprising! I thought you weren't leaving in another two days

You: it's a long story I'll tell you when I'm back

Neel: the suspense is KILLING ME

You: Don't you have work or something right now? It's a Monday morning!

Neel: In case you forgot I have a cool job in a cool place with a cool boss

Ma: Is that code for your boss has left you folks to do whatever you want?

Neel: yeah we just rolled out updates to our beta testers and the response was pretty good so we're just hanging around the office for food and banter

Ani: your job is not a real job

Neel: Says the person that is a glorified clothes hanger

You: HAHAHAHA

Ani: WHOSE TEAM ARE YOU ON?? MAAAA THEYRE BEING MEAN TO ME AGAIN

Ma: None of my children work real jobs. One plays games all day, one tries on different clothes and takes pictures in them all day and the other one makes business decisions for a man that doesn't have any businesses 😔

Ani: PAPA YOUR WIFE IS BEING A BULLY

Neel: No point. Mister Professor has an early lecture today.

You: I'm coming straight home from the airport if someone can pick me up it would be nice :)

Neel: Just say you don't want to pay taxi fare 🙄 send me your flight details I'll try to be there to pick you up. No promises though

Ani: If you can't pls tell me I'll take Ma's car to the airport!

Neel: you'll get your license revoked you're a hazard to citizens just trying to get to their homes

Ma: Anika has always been a better driver than you Neel. I've never once had to worry about scratches or dents on the family car when she's using it

Neel: MA THAT WAS ONCE AND I WAS NINETEEN PLEASE LET IT GO😭

You: No I still want to know how you didn't see an entire lane divider and drove for three hundred meters on it before realising something was wrong?

Neel: Ani pls pick up this unwanted guest from the airport I'm not going

Ani: Okay 😊

Kalki smiled at her phone, atleast her family would always give her a reason to smile. She was having a hard time right now, she knew that not being expressive was only going to create misunderstandings. But right now, she craved mental peace over trying to smooth things out with him. One day when I'm ready we'll talk about this. She repeated in her head over and over. Maybe if she let him know that too it would be better.

You: One day when I'm ready we'll talk about this.

Max: I'll wait for you then. Please keep your word.

You: I will. I promise.

Max: and what do I do in the meantime? So that my thoughts don't end up consuming me?

You: Breathe. Freely. You've redeemed yourself. There's no one to prove anything to. Look after yourself, do things that make you happy and heal your body from all the fatigue of travelling.

Max: Thank you and I hope you relax too :)