chapter three

Aelin

When I finally reach the Swan residence, Bella is already standing outside, waiting for my arrival. I grin at the brunette before I slide out my car, locking it after with the keyless fob. My black Timberlands crunch against the leaves as I hug the older girl in front of me as a greeting, her arms encircling my small frame the same way. 

"We can walk through the woods behind my house. Me and uh, he...used to go there all the time. It was our-", "Well, now it's ours and we can make better memories there!" I interrupt Bella as soon as she started reminiscing, knowing that it would knock her back even more. She replies with a small sigh and a ghost of a smile before we begin our trek into the wilderness. As we begin to make our way through the tree-line, I pull my corduroy jacket around myself even more, feeling the drop in temperature straight away due to the thick, high branches shelling us from the small amount of sun that this Town has during this season. 

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Our laughs fill the dense forestry, mostly coming from Bella as I start to divulge in my previous life on British soil. The soft breeze dances throughout our hair that we've both decided to keep down today, small tuffs floating lightly. The sun breaks through the small gaps in the canopy, though it doesn't do much to warm us due to the current climate.

"So, you're saying that they just let you in? Even though they saw your sister pass you her ID?" The Swan's girls words came out in puffs, finding the whole ordeal hilarious, though I just nod my head in reply with a grin gracing my equally pale features, "Yep, even though she still has her dark hair - couldn't believe it! It was a good night though, first night clubbing too". 

With more small talk keeping the silence at bay, us both going back and forth with wild stories Pre-Forks, we end up in a lush green opening. I look around the field in awe, though my face soon drops as I see a figure in the distance. As my eyes squint to try and decipher some of his hardened features, my stomach drops and twists; almost like my body knows something is happening while my brain is just confused. I stare at Bella as my breathing intensifies, her features morphing from happiness to fear. 

As soon as I saw him metres away, he appears in front of Bella; just an arms length away. My breath hitches and I pull Bella closer to me out of instinct, though it feels like my breathing stops as I muster enough courage to stare him in his crimson, unholy eyes. 

Vampire.

Bella latches onto my arms, her stare never leaving the immortal in front of us. I mimic her actions forcing my eyes to present an unwavering front when in reality I'm doing everything I can to not listen to the voice inside my head screaming to run. Fighting every natural emotion flowing through my fridge with fear body to not drag Bella and run, even though I know running won't do anything; not from one of them. 

The blood rushing to my ears mutes their conversation after I hear Bella whisper his name, her own voice hoarse with fear. Laurent, his voice is as smooth as steel, but I know the words he's saying are so venomous, he could end us in seconds. I zone back into the conversation to pull Bella further into my grasp as the soulless monster reaches out to caress her face. He glares at me momentarily before a sickly smirk is replaced in its place, though my face kept in a stagnant glare.