chapter four

Aelin

The sun shining through the cream coloured blinds wakes me up from my peaceful slumber, a small smile on my face is apparent as I rub my eyes, though it fades into a frown as quick as it came, remembering what happened yesterday. 

After Bella dragged me through the woods, back to her house, I stayed silent the whole time as it finally dawned upon me that Bella's ex-boyfriend was a Vampire, and by the look of Laurent he was probably also a Reddie, as we called them in England. Forcing Bella to explain everything to me with the truth and nothing but the truth, I finally understood why the breakup has taken such a toll on her; she was his Bloodsinger. I went home after Bella informed her Dad of what we saw out there, though I couldn't hide my wince when she tried to say the Shapeshifters were the ones committed the heinous murders, they couldn't have. 

My thoughts get broken by my phone vibrating, alerting me that I've got a text message. I sigh, brushing my hair behind my ear before I roll towards my device, hoping it was someone from back home checking on me, just to bring me back to normality a bit. 

From 'Jake': Hey, I'll be at yours in 20, is that okay? Embry, Quil and Jared are coming with us today

My nose wrinkles at the amount of people I'd have to car pool with today, though my shoulders stay relaxed. I know being anxious and anti-social won't help me with the first day at a new school. A loud sigh comes through my parted lips as I nod while typing the message back quickly so I can get ready. 

To 'Jake': 20 is fine, see you all soon x

*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Soon after finishing my tea and cigarette, I hear a car horn from the front of the house. I stand quickly, jogging through the house as I grab my bag from the bottom of the stairs. I take my appearance in the mirror quickly. Brushing my waves under my black headband. My grey jumper is rolled up so the cuffs stay by my wrists, my dark blue jeans going well with the outfit. 

I open the door to a smiling Jacob and I smile back in response, slightly taken back with his happiness for a Monday morning. I step out of my house and close the door, not locking the door as my Dad is in. Jacob grabs my bag, a small thanks leaving my mouth as he opens the back door for me too, "Sorry, Jared called shotgun". I laugh in response, shaking my head before sliding into his Truck. 

I turn to see a fidgety Embry, his face turning red as he realises I'm looking at him. "Morning, are you okay?" I whisper the last part of my sentence so the others don't hear, though I do take note of their smirks. Jacob pulls out of my drive and turns the radio on as our journey to School begins. Embry turns towards me, a shy smile on his face, "Morning, sorry, yeah I'm good". I nod in reply before looking out the window. 

"So, Aelin, how's American life treating you?" I look up to see who's asking, and it's Quil, a wiggle of his eyebrows to end the seemingly normal sentence, though I sense an undertone of something else. I shrug my shoulders slightly, being replying, "It's okay, nothing exciting really...", I decide a lie is better than explaining to a group of teenage boys that I encountered some creatures that should only be in storybooks. Jacob snorts in response whereas Jared laughs, though Embry is quick to shut them down with a glare. The Call boy turns to me with a soft smile, "We'll get you out and about doing some exciting stuff, don't worry". I end up mimicking his actions before I agree to his offer.

Though, throughout our whole interaction, I feel that familiar gravitational pull, like I did when I stared at the Shapeshifter the day before. It felt too familiar. 

*_*_*_*_*_*

Soon enough we arrive to the Reservation small school and I take in it's old fashioned appearance. Small groups of students litter the car park as Jacob slots into a space next to a black Range Rover, I look over to the person leaning up against the car, who's already looking over. I clear my throat quietly before I grab my bag and slide out of the car, leaving the door open for Embry. The group of four move over towards the unknown male, and I take a step back in response. Hearing Jared whoop and slap the guys back, I hear him call the unidentified individual Paul. Pulling my bag further on my shoulder, I take another step back as I survey the area, my throat running dry as I realise the amount of eyes on me. 

Even though this school looks tiny in comparison to the School I attended in England, ten eyes for some reason felt like one hundred. 

I turn on my heel in response before I begin to speed walk into the school, ignoring the calls from Embry and Jacob to come back. I push through the double doors that you use to enter the establishment, trying to control my breathing as I manoeuvre my way around people to get to the locker that's been given to me. I still feel eyes on me which cause me to deliberately over-concentrate on my actions, no matter how small and seemly normal they are. Finally I get to my locker, thanking any God or superifical being that is willing to hear for my Dad coming into the school on my behalf to get everything signed up and ready ahead of time. 

As I slowly open my locker, I use its door to block myself from other people, and to concentrate on my breathing instead. Once I've talked myself out of whatever type of moment I was going to have, I begin to place my books that are not needed into the locker while keeping the books I need in my bag. Closing my locker, I decide to lean on it so I can run through my timetable, definitely not to make sure I avoid awkward eye contact with other students. 

A large chorus of laughs echo throughout the tight hallways before I catch sight of the Umber-haired group that I left previously. Embry notices me first, and he begins to walk over, a small frown on his face as he takes in my guarded features. "What's up? We called when you walked off". His dark eyes send shivers through my spine as my Steel ones meet his, "J-Just wanted to get to my locker and work my timetable out-", I cringe at my stutter before I take a deep breath in to continue, "-I'm all good, Embry, honestly". His frown deepens as he realises I'm nervous, though instead of leaving me alone, he takes a step closer, taking my timetable from my hands to look at himself. I look around his broad shoulders to see the others standing in a huddled circle, occasionally looking towards us. 

"You've got the first half of the day with Jake, and the other half with me, Jake can show you to the classes", Embry turns around to the perviously mentioned huddle to beckon Jacob, who comes without a word. He smiles down at my smaller body before wrapping an arm around my shoulders, "You'll be fine, don't sweat it". I nod in response, feeling foolish for how I've acted before I turn back towards Embry. He has his eyes on Jacob, though his face is anything but happy. My eyebrows furrow when I've taken notice of his stand-offish posture, and I clear my throat to try and diffuse the tension, though Paul seems to have beat me to it. "Knock it off, hotheads", with a roll of his eyes he pushes Embry away before looking down at me, a small smirk gracing his arrogant features, "Have fun with Jake, I'm sure Embry's missing you already".

 Rolling my eyes at his childish attempt to make an argument over an unknown reason, I pull Jacob away as we start down the corridor, though I do make sure to look over my shoulder to get one last look at Embry. And low and behold, he's already staring back.