chapter five

Aelin 

I walk with Jacob, linking our arms as he leads me to the classroom, his embarrassed features dissipating from the slight altercation that happened before. "Sorry about that, I shouldn't have slung my arm round you", he scratches the back of his neck with his free hand before letting it drop to his side like it was dead-weight. "You didn't do anything wrong, I hope I haven't annoyed Embry...for whatever reason", I mumble, feeling confused as to why I care about his emotions so much so early on into our friendship. Jacob smiles at the comment, shaking his head as he looks at the ground, "I'm sure you can't annoy him even if you tried".

Soon enough, we get to our destination; English. "You can sit next to me, I've got a free seat", I nod as we walk in, unlinking our arms as we do so. The teacher grins at me, walking over instantly. "Good Morning, Aelin. I've read some of your work from your previous school and I'm so excited to have you in my class", I grin in reply as I pull my bag up higher on my shoulder. "Thanks, Miss, hopefully I'll keep up the good work". After taking the book that the class is reading from the teacher, I walk towards the back of the classroom, sitting next to Jacob. 

The dark haired boy cocks his eyebrow at me, leaning forward as he does. "Are you good at English then, or..." Laughing, I shrug in reply, getting my notepad out for the class and noting the date in the top right corner. "I've entered a few writing competitions in my old school and nationally, I've come first quite a few times. So yeah, across the board I'm good at school stuff, but English is my best and Maths is my worst". Jacob nods in reply, whistling when I mentioned about the competitions, "Well, I know who I'll be coming to if I need homework help". I simply shake my head in reply, a small grin prominent on my face. 

Once we're given our tasks to do, I turn to face Jacob as I hear the classroom noise reach an acceptable level so no one can eavesdrop. "So, what's wrong huh? I can tell you're feeling down", I lean my head on my hand as Jacob looks up from the book, trying to find quotes for the task at hand. "Honestly? Bella, I just don't understand why she can't see that I'm right in front of her y'know?" I sigh, placing a reassuring arm on his bicep, "Jake, you need to try and get over her. The Cullens were a big part of her life, though they might've not been the best people, she still loved them". He nods slowly, frowning at his empty page of paper. "She's no good. Like, she's a lovely friend but I feel like she'll cause a rift somehow, just try and distance yourself, yeah? It's different from me, I guess". I turn back to my work and open the book, finding the quotes almost instantly. 

Half hour later, I stand up before walking over to the teachers desk before the other members of the class, handing in my piece of stationary with a smile on my face. "Quotes, explanations, analysis and links for Chapter Two, Miss". The teacher takes it with a smile, "Thank you Aelin, you can leave early if you wish". I nod with a smile before walking back to my desk. I collect my things before sliding a paper to Jacob. He looks up confused before I lean down to whisper in his ear, pretending to grab my bag. "More quotes with the other stuff, I see you're lacking". I replicate his smile before I place my belongings in my bag, "I'll be by my locker". 

Walking in the empty Hallway, I finally find my way back to my locker. Unlocking it, I extend my arm slightly so I can dig through my bag to extract my English equipment, seeing as I don't need it anymore. Soon I feel someone stop and lean against the locker next to me. Realising that they're not leaving anytime soon and knowing it's not any of the boys, I close my locker with a huff. I cross my arms and take a step back as I stare at the unknown raven haired boy next to me, his smirk that's plastered on his face is all I need to see before my nose scrunches up in disapproval.