chapter six

Aelin 

The sun shines above, causing an angelic halo effect on the three dogs that lay around me on the chipped wooden porch. Lifting my head, my face feels the sunbeams on my freckled skin, I relax into my chair with a sigh of content slipping from my slightly chapped lips. I lift my cigarette to them soon after, taking a deep breath in, puffing the air out in 'o's.

"Hey, Twat, stop smoking and say hello", a deep voice grunts next to me, though I don't need to open my eyes to know who it is. A smirk graces my now tanned features as I stare at the boy in front of me, "No need to be rude-", I pause my sarcasm as I open my arms wide, "C'mon on then,  Dickhead". The boy rolls his eyes before he makes his way over to me, enveloping himself in my arms. He pulls me up onto my feet, which makes me stand on my tip-toes due to his inhuman height. "I missed you, A". I melt into his arms, a deep breath in from the two of us as we both smell like home to one and another. "I missed you too, Sean". 

Soon after we pull away from each other, the sound of thumping feet coming our way causes the two of us to crack smiles. "Aelin, save some love for the rest of us!" Harvey calls out as he pulls me from Sean's grasp, hugging me from behind. My smile turns into a grin as I hold my arms out for Rhys and Joseph who slip themselves into each arm. Soon after the trio of Shapeshifters pull away from me, giving me time to stub my cigarette out into the ash tray on the table. Sean, Rhys and Joe kneel down to give some affection to the now excited dogs so I turn to Harvey, "Anything changed since I've been gone?", a snort leaves his equally freckled features as he shakes his head before replying, "It's just got so boring". 

The boys slip themselves into a chair as I opt to leaning against the porch fence, a smile still donning my features. "Anne and Mike are at your Dad's shop by the way, the girls are there too", I nod in reply before looking down at my feet, kicking the wood below with my beaten up Vans. "Your Dad said you've been off school for a while, something 'bout being pushed?" Rhys begins, seeing Sean stiffen at the comment I walk over to him, before placing a hand on his arm. "It was just a guy trying to push his weight around, I'm all good now". I shrug to make it seem like it hasn't bothered me, even though it has. The group of boys nod, visibly relaxing at my nonchalant attitude before the conversation leads to general chit-chat, with updates from home. Suddenly I'm thankful I'm not part of their Pack Telepathy. 

Hearing the front door open and close, my feet begin to take me towards the noise. Turning the corner of the hallway, I see Anne and my nieces standing there, almost like they were waiting for me. "Hey, tanned girl", the older girl teases with a small wiggle of her eyebrows, Amelia is the first to giggle at her Mother's comment. I bound into her now open arms, closing the gap within seconds. "I've missed you so much, Anne", I sniff as I push my face into the crook of her shoulder more. "And I've missed you too, Sunshine-", she pauses as she moves apart from me, looking at me up and down with a grin on her now pale features, "-Gone au natural, aye?" A breathless laugh slips through my lips as I watch Anne pick some of my now Brunette hair up, stroking it with her thumb. 

Turning to my nieces I crouch to their level, a small blush on my face as I realised I forgot to say hello, "And how are my favourite girls?" Amelia squeals as she rushes into one of my arms, blabbing about how she's missed my bedtime stories, whereas Isla just stands idly clapping her hand against my other outstretched one. "Isla's still not a chatty one, but we're getting there aren't we, Love?" Anne crouches next to me, bringing a delicate hand up to stroke it against her youngest daughters cheek. We opt to sit in the lounge, away from the boys so we can catch up without any eavesdropping. 

I make my way to the kitchen one the girls are settled to get some drinks, as I feel my phone begin to vibrate in my pocket. I fill the kettle up before popping it on, ignoring the first set of vibrations. Setting the phone on the counter, I begin to ignore the second round of vibrating as I fill some plastic cups up of juice for the little one. When it gets to the third round of vibrating, as frustrated groan leaves my lips, I spin on my heel to see Harvey answering my mobile for me. I ditch the tea making to jump on his tall figure, my hands clamping around his in an attempt to take my phone back, though the trying is futile as he easily pushes my small frame away. He stares confused at my panicked state as he lifts the phone to his ear.

"Hello Alein's phone, Harvey speaking..." 

"Yeah she's here, I'll pass her over now, one sec mate"

As he hands me the phone I click the mute button quickly, my panicked stated now turning into anger. "You're a bloody dickhead, Harvey! If I leave the phone ringing that means I don't want to bloody talk!" The boy shrugs his shoulders before turning his back to me to carry on making mine and Anne's tea, "Sucks to be you, boo". A huff leaves my lips as I look down at the phone, seeing his name on the screen makes my heartbeat increase to a state I didn't know was medically possible. I clear my throat before unmuting the phone and placing it to my ear. 

"Hey, Embry". 

"Aelin? Who was that, are you okay?"

I hear his voice raise slightly, causing a shiver to roll down my spine. Who knew overprotectiveness sounded and felt so good?

"That was Harvey, he's one of my friends from England. I'm good though, how're you?"

I hear shuffling and a door close on Embry's side of the phone, followed by a slight increase of background noise; probably the wind. 

"I'm fine, t-thank you for picking up by the way, I-I've missed you..."

A blush graces my features as I listen to his stutter, the stated motion causes Harvey's actions to stop, his mouth opening slightly agape as he listens in on the conversation from the other side of the room. I silently shoo him away, though he doesn't budge much to my quiet pleads of being alone. 

"I've missed you too, um, how about you and your lot come round tonight? You can meet the pa-the boys", I cringe at my close slip up though Harvey has to cover his mouth and pinch his nose to hold in his laughs. 

"Sounds good, A. See you tonight!" I hear whoop'ing in the background, coming from the others I assume.

After a quick goodbye, I hang up the phone. Chucking it on the countertop I rest my hands on the same counter, my face facing the floor as I shake my head. Harvey finally realises his laugh, wiping his eyes with one hand while rubbing my back with the other. "I can't believe I nearly let you guys slip", I whine as I face the grinning, humoured boy, "I don't even know if they have Shapeshifters here!" Harvey reaches over to grab the now full mugs as he begins to sings as he steps out the room, "Aelin's got a crushhhh!"

Stomping my foot, I cross my arms as if they'd give me some extra protection from his torment, "I bloody do not, Harvey!" I stomp through the house into the lounge with a rouge face. Falling onto the settee next to Anne, I turn to her with pouted lips, "I may have a thing...but not a crush!"