14. (s3 e1)

"You haven't said anything since you came here." A voice comes from the floor making Veronica look down at Izzie who was lying on the bathroom floor in her prom dress.

It had been 2 days since she woke up from surgery and she had begged Bailey to discharge her not being able to take another minute of lying in bed.

It had also been 1 day since Denny Duquette had passed away due to a blood clot. Izzie was not handling it well. She had quit as an intern and was lying on the bathroom floor.

Veronica had insisted to Alex to bring her to Meredith's house as soon as she was discharged. Now she was in her wheelchair in the bathroom with Izzie both silent, lost in their thoughts. They had been like this for about 20 mins when Izzie broke the silence.

"What?" Veronica asks, blinking as she's brought back to the present.

Izzie turns to look at Veronica as she repeats herself, "You have been here for 20 mins and haven't tried to get me up yet. Why?"

"I know it won't help." Veronica sighs. "I know what you are going through. You probably feel as if-. As if everything has just stopped. Because it has. Denny could be the love of your life and now he's gone. And you don't know how to feel. How to act. How to just pretend as if your world hasn't just been burnt to ash. As if there's a hole in your chest where your heart used to be. And now you are incomplete because he's not there anymore and he took your heart with him." Veronica's voice falters and she tries to wipe at her eyes as she remembers being this broken years ago.

She takes a deep breath before she looks at Izzie." Me trying to get you up won't help. You need to get up on your own."

Izzie blinks and her eyes water as she looks at Veronica. "I am in slow motion. And everything around me is moving so fast and I just wanna go back to when things were normal. When I wasn't poor Izzie laying on the bathroom floor in her prom dress with her... Her dead fiance.''

"But you are." Veronica says making eye contact with Izzie.

"I am" Izzie agrees.

"It gets better. I know it's cliche. Everyone says this. And right now you probably won't believe me but it does. IT gets better. You might never completely get over him. IT will always hurt but you learn to ignore the pain after a while."

"Will I ever be able to move on?" Izzie asks in a broken whisper as she looks at Veronica.

"I don't know Iz." Veronica sighs. "People seem to think so."

Izzie takes a moment to mull over it and then reaches up with her hand and Veronica smiles as she links their hand. The two just sit there silently taking comfort in each other before Veronica breaks the silence again.

"It's important that you know this Izzie. You have people here for you . You have me and Mer and Chris and George and Alex. And we will always be here for you. Please let us in. Don't push away. I promise it helps."

━━━━⁎∗.*.∗⁎━━━━