Hot or Cold

The rest of the night flew by. Jimmy, Xisuma, FWhip, Bigb, and I joined the line of people asking questions to the new Grand Emperor. Several people looked disappointed as they left, a few looked panicked, and some looked comforted. When it was finally our turn, Xisuma was the first to step up.

"We can't leave if teleportation is banned," Xisuma said. "And Pearl can't come back."

Joel shook his head. "A lot of people said this already," he said. "But they have to stay until my reign ends."

Then he added, "It won't any time soon," glaring at us.

Xisuma, despite us not being able to see his face, seemed to radiate anger. "You're not letting-" he sputtered. "You're not letting your friend come home. And you're not letting Bigb and me go home either." He stormed into a clear area, took off, and flew away.

"You of all people should understand this," Bigb said coldly. "You were there, in Last Life." Then with an icy glare at the Grand Emperor, he followed Xisuma.

Joel watched them go. Lizzie, who sat next to him, laid a hand on his shoulder. "You should let them leave. And Pearl needs to come back."

Joel put his head in his hands. "I thought this would help. I really did."

I was starting to hear that a lot. Martyn. Scott. FWhip. Now Joel.

Lizzy glanced up at us apologetically. Joel realized he still had an audience and straightened up.

Jimmy wrung his hands nervously. "Can you do an ally bonus? 'Cause the cod... I need to talk to them... they're my subjects."

Joel hesitated before nodding. "Fine, but not because you're my ally. It's because you need to be able to communicate with your subjects."

Lizzy and Jimmy both looked immensely relieved.

FWhip and I walked up to Joel together. "Gem doesn't know," I said. "Can you at least pardon her until she comes out of hiding? We can't tell her about the new law because you took away communication."

Joel shook his head. "I can't make exceptions."

FWhip blinked, his eyes burning with fury. "So you're just going to sit back and watch as our sister gets killed off on your orders?"

Joel winced. "I wouldn't put it that way."

Lizzy didn't say anything. She knew this was her husband's argument.

"Then how would you put it?" I challenged.

Joel didn't answer.

"I've been here for a little over a day," I said slowly. "And I've already seen what that crown has caused. You want to bring us together? Then stop separating us. That crown forces people to go into hiding for disobeying unjust laws."

I glanced at my brother. "I don't care if all of the Empires are against me," I growled. "I declare war."

FWhip's eyes brightened. "I stand with her."

"Treason!" Joel roared.

"This isn't treason," I shot back. "This is fighting for what is right. For what the people want."

Well, it was sort of treason.

I leaned in. "You may not be a red name in title anymore, but you are in spirit. That sparkly innocent thing you wear on your royal head is just another Red Crown."

Lizzy, Jimmy, and Joel gasped. They knew what it meant.

I strode away without another word.

FWhip ran up next to me as I got out a rocket and started to light it. "You and Gem have been on a roll lately! Oh yeah!" He did a weird, FWhip-ish dance move.