Chapter 16 - Showdown in Eden

I do not own Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XIII, the Final Fantasy series or any official characters featured within this project. The Final Fantasy series is owned by Square-Enix, Hiranobu Sakaguchi, and Tetsuya Nomura. Please support the official release.

"10...9...8..." Sazh began his countdown, flipping an odd combination of switches, lighting the control panel light a Christmas tree. The engines ignited; a low, slow hum at first before erupting into a deafening roar! Lightning clutched Blazefire as tightly as she held her restraining belt as the ship began to shake with excitement.

"...3...2...1: LAUNCHING!!"

The ship gave a startling lurch before their stomachs were left behind with an enormous burst of speed, leaving Oerba far behind! Lightning tried to pry her neck off of the head rest but was rendered immobile; an array of green and blue merged together in her peripheral vision. A heavy pressure sat down hard on Lightning's head as the ship made a ninety-degree turn straight up! Vanille screamed loudly as the interior rattled ever more violently; they were picking up speed!

"SAZH! LET OFF OF THE SPEED!!" Lightning's voice was lost in the rush. A near inaudible gasp shifted her gaze forward; Cocoon was enlarging at an alarming rate! It was getting closer, a shining green barrier standing as a lone sentinel. There was the tinkle of breaking glass and the ship began slowing ("It's not my fault!" roared Sazh over Fang's vehement swearing).

Lightning hardened her gaze, focused on the sight of the floating city before them. Crawling over the fish-shaped hull of the machine keeping Eden afloat, the ship flew into a city far more glorious than Palumpolum with skyscrapers that threatened to touch the top of the world. However, before she could admire any more of the capital, the ship gave a nasty lurch and turned towards the heart of the city.

"IT'S NOT ME!!" Sazh bellowed again, throwing up his hands in surprise and defeat "THE SHIP'S DRIVING ITSELF AGAIN!"

Lightning unbuckled her safety harness, pushed up towards the cockpit and looked out the portrait hole. The controls, acting of their own accord, were now steering them towards a brightly lit and heavily populated arena. Seizing the control panel, Lightning tugged to veer off course but the ship remained adamant in its set route.

Lightning hung her head in exasperation: so much for the subtle way! But just then, a sharp, clear voice cut across the stillness of the day:

PEOPLE OF COCOON, MY FELLOW CITIZENS---

"That's Raines!" cried Hope, Lightning shushed him impatiently

---WE HAVE SURVIVED THE TWILIGHT AND GATHER NOW TO WELCOME THE DAWN ON WHICH WE DECIDE OUR FATE. MANY ARE THE LESSONS WE HAVE LEARNED DURING OUR LONG NIGHT OF HARDSHIP AND SACRIFICE AND NOW WE FACE CHOICES, WHICH MUST BE MADE OF AS OUR HEARTS DICTATE, AND NOT ABANDON TO UNCARING CHANCE. LET US FORGE AHEAD WITH UNFLINCHING COURAGE AND HONOR THE FALLEN WITH ACTION! WITH THESE HANDS: WE SHAPE THE FUTURE!

The outside suddenly became very dark as they entered into the artificial shading system of the arena; the roar of the crowd below pierced through the hull, and the rumble of race-bikes battling ferociously with them. The ship was beginning to shake horribly; there was a flash and it gave a sickening 'Crack' and then ship split apart completely.

Lightning felt her stomach fall away as she and the others tumbled through the air. However, a blinding radiance caught her eye, and the crumbling airship began to transform! Seven forms burst forth from the light, one of them, was a tall pale-skinned warrior; Odin came barreling towards her, reaching out his hand.

Reaching out and taking her Eidolon's hand, Lightning pulled herself into a controlled dive (her peripherals catching sight of the golden-armored warrior contorting himself into the majestic horse) before landing in Odin's saddle.