Shoutout of the week #1: 'The King's Remorse'

For my first shoutout I wanted to take a look at 'The King's Remorse' by -werewolf14-, an epic fantasy novel that spans multiple different perspectives.

The story takes place in the kingdom of Ragdon and follows sister and brother Wolf and Dove – two shapeshifters who are destined by prophecy to usurp the throne of the tyrannous King Garonda XIV who threatens not only the people of this land, but the balance of the world itself. It's a story that seems simple enough at first – prophesized heroes, an evil ruler, and a traditional adventure narrative. Where this story distinguishes itself however is in its multiple character perspectives – this is not just Wolf and Dove's story. This is the story of the people they meet as they flee their imprisonment at the hands of the King and others who seek the death of the tyrant, or merely try to survive in his harsh, and often unforgiving world.

As mentioned, it's the characterization that gives this story its strength. Wolf is headstrong, determined, even ferocious when necessary, and Dove is the brains of the operation – calculating, mysterious, and sharp. They work well to complement each other, and other characters often act as a foil for the pair (such as the aptly fiery Phoenix and sensible Ky). Some of the most surprising moments in the narrative occur as these characters grapple with complex moral questions that really challenge both them and the reader. Without spoilers, these questions are some that are often overlooked in standard adventure tales (is it right to take the life of someone just doing their job? How far can one go to make the world a 'better place?' and does such a concept really exist?) This isn't your standard DnD inspired romp through bloodied dungeons with nary a care for the plight of the enemy – the story takes its time to truly consider the idea that the lines between right and wrong, good and evil, might not be so clear cut when it comes to revolt and rebellion.

There's a jovial bond that exists between every character and their relationships, especially when put under strains, really tug at the reader's heartstrings. But don't think that this adventure is only a somber trek through a world on the brink of collapse. There's some great humour to be shared amongst the characters and their enemies – such as the hapless supporters of the King who refer to him in his overly illustrious full title ('My Sovereign, His Excellency, His Honour, His Highest of all Highnesses, King Garonda XIV! – let's face it, with a name like that, of course this guy's evil).

Above all, this book demonstrates natural dialogue and interactions between believable characters not always depicted in works of fantasy fiction. It's also not afraid to take you by the scruff of the neck with its plot twists which, of course, I won't spoil here. But suffice to say not everything may be as it seems.

A deeply entertaining story with charming characters you will grow to love. I highly recommend you check it out! The author is currently working on another piece, 'Pockets of Gold and Silver', and if you like their writing style you should dive into that too.