Chapter 5

She needed him, David concluded that morning as he stared at her battered form on the bed. He had been deprived of slumber all night, disturbed by the thought of waking up to find her missing again. The fear of what would have happened if he hadn't shown up in time to rescue her from her husband gnawed at him until he silently admitted to her need for him. He might not need a woman, but the one he had purchased needed him in order to stay safe. If he released her and something terrible happened...

He shook his head, knowing he couldn't live with the guilt of another death on his hands.

Still, he feared the consequences of taking her home with him. He didn't wish for the rumors that would follow his decision. In fact, he feared the rumors. It was the one thing he feared the most, the one thing that had forced him to leave his home in London and seek refuge in the countryside of Cheshire.

Releasing a breath, he rose to his feet. There was no use trying to find a solution to the problem on an empty stomach, he decided as he wore his shoes and coat and turned to leave the room.

Loud murmurs trailed his steps as he entered the dining room. He stole a glance at the men in the room, recognizing some of them from the auction yesterday. They were a scruffy lot, and the thought of any of them with his woman caused his fingers to tighten their grip on his fork. He was suddenly thankful she hadn't followed him down to breakfast, for although he didn't desire her for himself, he didn't wish to have her defiled by the lustful stares of these men.

His mind wandered to the man who had sold the woman to him, and in that second, he almost wished he had left him in the snow to die, rather than drag his unconscious form into the cottage.

Shoving the last piece of boiled egg in his mouth, he arranged for food to be taken to her upstairs, before going to see about his footman. His plan was to be at his country home before noon.

Once the arrangements were completed, he returned to his room to inform her of the trip. She was awake and by the dresser when he entered, her gray muslin dress now replaced by a fancier house dress. A white, delicate lace belt cinched the blue fabric to her waist, and when she spun around at the sound of his entrance, he saw how well the dress complimented her eyes. It was a good thing he had brought along her carpetbag from the night before, he thought, releasing his grip on the knob.

Her lips fell open, her hair falling with them as her hands fell to her sides.

"Good morning," he began.

Straightening, she clasped her hands before her. "Good morning, sir."

"I believe you slept well, given the eventful evening you had." He raised a brow, and color immediately sprang to her pale cheeks, causing her to appear more beautiful than he remembered.

"I beg your pardon... What I did..." She bowed her head. "Forgive me."

David opened his mouth to say he understood her reason for stealing from him and that there was no need for an apology, but he decided against it. He didn't wish for her to think it was alright to steal from him, nor did he wish for a repeat of the atrocious act.

"It shall be the first and last time you shall take what is mine—" he covered the distance between them, and taking her chin in his hand, forced her to look at him—"my watch, or yourself." He mentally scolded himself for his choice of words when he watched fear cloud her eyes. It was not his intention to frighten her, nor did he wish to liken her to an object that could be owned. But he was left without a choice. If fear would keep her from running off and risking her life again, then so be it.

He released her chin. "What is your name?"

"El... Eloise."

Nodding, he held out a hand to her. "I'm David."