Chapter 34

She was lying.

David knew Eloise was not unwell; she only sought to feign an illness to get out of honoring his invitation to dinner. He knew he was deserving of her lies and could not blame her for wanting nothing to do with him considering how he treated her. Yet, he wanted everything to do with her. By God, he wanted to take her in his arms right here in this public park and partake of the sweetness of her lips. It didn't matter that their kiss might cause the scandal of the season. Nothing, no one else mattered but Eloise. She mattered so much, he had endured the tedious journey to London just to catch a glimpse of her from afar. He hadn't meant to speak to her, nor had he intended to make his presence known, and on their way into town, when they'd stopped by her home, he had been content to sit in the carriage across the road and look out for her through the window.

After nearly an hour of waiting for her to emerge from the front door, he had grown weary and instructed the footman to take him to London intending to return the next morning. They were heading home when Adam spotted her in the midst of the crowd in Hyde Park. Adam's hollering had drawn David to the window to see for himself, and the second he saw Eloise, he knew he needed to be near her. He hadn't been thinking when he ordered the footman to stop the carriage, nor had he been thinking when he climbed down after Adam and went to her. He certainly had not been thinking when he invited her to dine with him. Her refusal of his invitation felt like a blow to his throat, leaving him winded and speechless for several seconds until Adam broke the silence.

"Oh, please Mrs Taylor! Please join us for supper," Adam said, stepping forward and grabbing her hand.

Eloise glanced down, a small smile touching her lips as she smoothed Adam's hair. "I'm not sure that's a clever idea..."

"But it is. I've missed you severely," Adam insisted.

"As have I. But I'm afraid I do not have a choice. I cannot... Perhaps you might not understand right away. Perhaps someday you might understand my decision."

Pulling away from her touch, Adam stepped back and folded his arms across his chest. "You left without the slightest goodbye," he accused.

Pain flashed in Eloise's eyes as her lips fell open. Then, as if lost for words, she closed them once more. Seeing her pain, David stepped forward and took Adam's shoulder. He knew it wasn't fair for Adam to blame Eloise for something that wasn't within her control, when in fact he was the one to blame; it was he who sent her away.

"That is enough, Adam. We will not burden Mrs Taylor with our invitation. She reserves the right to decline," he said, staring at her, noting how she failed to offer him the slightest glance. She instead kept her eyes on Adam. "I thank you for your time, Mrs Taylor."

Mustering what was left of his willpower, he turned from her and began making his way back to the carriage with Adam.

"What time is supper tonight?" Her words forced him to a halt halfway to the parked carriage. Shocked, yet thrilled to think she might change her mind about honoring his invitation, he turned back to her. She stood there, her hands clasped before her, her lips slightly pursed as she stared at him.

"Our meal shall be served at seven o'clock tonight, as is our custom."

She seemed to consider his words for several seconds. Silently, he prayed she would concede. His prayers were answered when she finally nodded.

"Very well, my lord..." She shifted from one foot to the other. "I shall be ready at six," she finished, and without waiting for his response, turned from him and began walking away.

Mr. Miles hurried after her, clinging to a blue parasol; an unusual sight. But David cared nothing for Mr. Miles, only the woman he looked forward to sharing a meal with tonight.