Chapter 8

At least she had the decency to look ashamed, David thought, his fingers curling into fists. Anger swelled in his heart at the sight of Jonathan, his brother, with Eloise. He had known the instant he returned home to the news of Jonathan's presence that nothing pleasant could come out of it, but he had not been expecting to walk into his study to find Eloise and his brother in the throes of passion.

"My lord—" Eloise began, color staining her cheeks as she stepped forward. And by the devil, she was beautiful; even more so than he remembered. She appeared to have gained weight, her bosom and hips fuller. Her skin appeared fairer next to the fabric of her red dress, and not for the first time, David found it nearly impossible to tame his lustful thoughts.

He shook his head to push the thought aside. "Leave us." The color drained from her face as she nodded. Clasping her hands before her, she crossed the room to where he stood by the door. David kept his gaze on her, unwilling—unable—to look away as she paused beside him. It was then he saw the tears that shone in her eyes.

"It is not as you think, my lord," she whispered brokenly, her eyes silently pleading for his understanding. He stared at her, seeing no falsehood in her teary gaze. A stubborn part of his heart longed to believe her. Surely, he was mistaken; perhaps he had misinterpreted what he thought he witnessed.

Still, common sense screamed at him; he could not be misled by her lovely eyes and the innocence that shone in them, for he had seen for himself what she was capable of when he walked in here a moment ago to find her in his brother's arms. He would not be fooled into believing otherwise.

Hardened by the thoughts that raced through his mind, he raised a hand in dismissal. Her lips trembled slightly, and just as a sob threatened to escape, she clasped her hands over her mouth and hurried past him.

Perhaps I'm wrong. There was the thought again, scolding him for his mistreatment of her; compelling him to go after her to ascertain the truth of what had happened. Perhaps there was an explanation...

"Welcome home, brother," Jon said, dragging David back to the present. For a second, he had forgotten his brother was even in the room.

Straightening, he turned to Jon. He had resumed his seat, his gaze fixed on David. Fighting to regain his composure, David crossed the room. "You're in my chair," he bit out.

Jonathan stared at him, annoyance creasing his brows slightly. Then, releasing a puff of air, he sprang to his feet and circled the desk. He took the seat across from David. "This is the thanks I get for bringing your son home to you?"

David settled in his seat. His butler had already given him the unpleasant news of his brother and son's presence in Oakham, even if he knew not the purpose of their visit. "The last time I checked, mother had many servants. One of them could have taken on the task of journeying with Adam; it did not have to be you. I shall offer no gratitude for a service I did not request. You have come into my home unwelcome and have taken to bedding my servant in my absence—even in my own study," he accused, anger lacing every word.

Jon leaned back in his chair, humor dancing in his eyes. David knew it pleased his brother to taunt him, and unwilling to give him the satisfaction of seeing the effects his action had on him, he swallowed his anger.

"Where were you?" Jon asked tentatively, and it upset David to think he didn't have the decency to deny bedding Eloise.

He frowned. "Scotland, then Wales. Why have you come?"

"I'm here to return the boy," Jon said. Leaning back against his chair as a bitter taste filled his mouth, David gripped the armrest. Return? Surely Jon didn't mean Adam was to live in Oakham with David?!