Plug 'n' Play

We discussed how PSD files can help you, especially with going back to change and edit things. A lot of designers use a PSD file to create templates that others can use to basically 'plug and play'. Think of Canva, for instance. 

A template is a predefined graphic design that has been created for a particular use. Whether it's a cover, poster, a book mock-up, or any number of other designs, it makes it easier to create a final design. These templates can save designers time while still providing full flexibility in editing. They can also be used by those who have less experience designing but still wish to create a professional looking final design. A template design will always contain editable layers, text, colors, and their sizes can usually be scaled without losing image quality.

A file is only a template if others can use it to plug in their information and create a final design. I have files full of templates, some I've made and some I've downloaded from places. I'm the art administrator for a local author group here and I make all their promotional posters, to save time I have templates for each of the partner venues and I simply plug in the information for that month and save the new posters. It keeps me from having to create the posters from scratch every month.

This whole thing goes back to learning about things before you start calling yourself a designer. Learn the correct sizes for things, and learn the correct definitions as well. Especially if you're thinking of making this a career, no one in the industry will take you seriously if you don't know even the basics.