11. We aren't the only ones

Simon waited until the water turned off before he allowed himself to breathe again. His worry increased with every second he didn't have his eyes on her, the worry about her health greatly outweighing that of his worry about his father's attacks. Reaching into his pocket, he removed the charm he had snatched from the car mirror, the little glass bird a shining reminder of the relationship Avery and Simon had shared. Gently he wrapped it in a pair of his socks and stored it in his bag, unable to face the consequences of the car just yet.

Carefully he laid out the papers from his bag on the desk, a freshly made coffee from the room's espresso machine quietly steaming on the side next to him. He was so focused on trying to understand what happened the night of the fire, that he didn't notice when Avery crept out of the bathroom dressed in just a towel to search for her clothes. He only turned when he heard the zip open, turning back to the papers instantly to give her some privacy.

"Sorry Avs, I didn't know- "

"It's okay." She muttered, shuffling back into the bathroom, her towel wrapped tightly around her.

A few minutes later he heard the hairdryer and a few minutes after that she came out. Her clothes were a pair of leggings with a substantial hole in the knee and a top that had been washed more times than it should have been, the picture of a familiar hairless cat faded drastically.

"We are in a five-star hotel." Simon heard himself mutter.

"And I don't own a lot of clothes Mr rich." Simon cleared his throat and placed his laptop on top of the papers before going for his own shower, emerging exactly 12 minutes later in a fitted two-piece suit with his socks slung over his shoulders. Avery tried desperately to hold back from taking a deep sniff of his cologne, the whole room smelling of it in seconds.

He fussed with his cufflinks before downing the rest of his lukewarm coffee in one gulp. "Let me get my shoes on and then I'm taking you shopping."

Avery crossed her arms across her chest and rolled her eyes. "I don't need your charity."

He looked pointedly at her shirt the pocked out between the gaps in her arms. "You can't wear that to dinner."

"What did Mr Bigglesworth ever do to you."

Simon sighed and rolled his eyes realising exactly what movie the hairless cat was from and why it looked so familiar. He had been the one to buy it for her, a birthday present ten years prior. He felt himself smile at the thought before taking a calming breath. "Come on."

He tied his shoes quickly before putting his wallet, phone, and hotel room key card into different pockets on his person before waiting by the door. He purposefully left his mask on the desk chair, making a point not to need it. He hoped it to be a silent promise not to fight whist in the hotel.

The two shared a look before Avery clicked her tongue and groaned. "Fine, but don't expect to make a habit of this, I will be returning whatever you buy me."

Simon shrugged and adjusted his hair slightly in a nearby mirror. "If that's what you want princess."

"I just hate owing people money, it makes me feel sick."

Simon sighed once more. "Can we just go please? It's only a short walk to the boutique here."

"In the hotel?"

Simone resisted the urge to roll his eyes at the stubborn determination of the woman. "Yes, it's in the hotel."

"What else does this place have?"

"Well it doesn't have cable, that's for sure." Simon said, referencing a joke that two of them had shared a few years prior about the state of the car. Simon's smirk dropped when he realised Avery hadn't understood the reference.