20. Parental Devotion

As more information about Simon Cole's actions emerged, the more citizens rioted and voted for his freedom. When a trial date was announced for him for the following year and his bail was set at 1.6 billion dollars, even more joined the riots as the people converged around the mayor's home, despite the chill in the February air.

Unable to call in the police force, who had gone on strike, the mayor remained confined to his home as the people chanted, sang, cheered and booed. After a week, the man caved and called for a live stream to be sent to the news sources.

He announced the bail to be lowered and the trial date to be moved up, but it wasn't enough. The people outside his home who watched the stream on their devices made themselves heard as they began to throw rocks and rotten fruit at the windows of the home. The mayor became visibly flustered before the top of his daughter's head became visible on the screen. He looked down at his daughter sadly as she asked him to hold her with a silent gesture that no one could have refused.

As the man brushed a single strand of hair from his daughter's face, she asked him the one question that ended everything. "Would you tear down the city for me if you could, daddy?"

The mayor froze, the man only able to blink at his daughter. The crowd surrounding his home silenced instantly as they awaited his answer, the entire city seemed to hold its breath. The mayor looked to the tomato stained window then to his daughter, and his head tilted as he melted into her green eyes. "I would raze entire cities and burn the world if it meant I could get to you, my love."

He swallowed hard and pulled her into the crook of his neck before looking into the camera. He clenched his jaw slightly and nodded. "Free him."

The crowd outside the window paused for a beat before they erupted into cheers. All over the city the people celebrated the freedom of a man they had once collectively wanted dead. Even the families of the officers who had seen the tapes of the murderous Caleb forgave Simon for trying to stop the rampaging teen.

Simon, alone in his cell, didn't hear the cheers, he didn't see the live stream. All Simon heard was the click of the lock as his cell door opened to reveal Larry standing in the doorway. "Where to today, chief?" Simon asked as he stood and pressed his wrists together.

"Home." Larry said his voice on the verge of breaking as he attempted to remain professional.

Simon blinked twice before releasing a breathy laugh. "That's a good one Larry, I almost fell for that." He cleared his throat and held his hands out further in preparation for the chains as Larry moved aside silently to gesture through the open door. "We're going to volunteer at some homeless shelter, right? Help to inspire the kids not to be like me?" Larry shook his head and gestured out the door again. "Don't lead me into a trap. Just kill me if that's your aim."

Larry gave the man a small smile as his head tilted slightly. "No tricks, no traps. The mayor said you're free."

"Free." Simon repeated with a whisper as he pulled his arms into himself, his wrists still pressed together tightly.

"Free." Larry confirmed. "Come on kid, you got a nursery to help me build. Martha and Avery have spent days painting but Avery always refused to let me put up the crib without you." Simon blinked and swallowed as Larry tilted his head into the cell. "You could stay here if you wanted, but Martha has a pie in the oven and I'm starving."

"Is.. is she okay?"

"Martha? Yeah she's fine. Her hip is giving her some issues but-"

"Avery." Simon said, halting the man's words. "Is she okay?"

Larry smiled warmly and gestured once more through the open door. "Come see for yourself."

Martha had not long pulled the pie from the oven and set it on the table when her husband entered through the door. "I'm home girls." He called out, signalling his arrival to the women.

"Larry, Kevin called, he and the family are running a little late but-" Avery began as she rounded the corner, a hand on the bump nestled under her sweater, her attention and her gaze locking on the man behind Larry.

"I'll call him back." Larry said as he removed his red scarf to rest it on the coat rack. "I brought a friend, hope you don't mind." The man knowingly grinned as he passed the frozen woman to enter the kitchen. "Set another place, my love."

Martha kissed his cheek before she gestured to the table. "I already did, dear."

Avery and Simon froze at the sight of one another before his gaze slowly dropped to her rounded belly. He released a breathy smile as a single tear fell to leave a trail down his cheek. The duo said nothing as Avery slowly advanced towards the man she loved, her hands outstretched ready to pull him into them.

"Simon-" He shook his head and took a step back, but she was quicker.

Avery pulled his hand towards her to press it to feel her belly as something inside kicked his hand. He gasped and released more tears as he inched himself forward, waiting for his daughter to move again. When she did, he dropped to his knees and lowered his head. His hand slipped but Avery refused to let it fall as she lowered herself to kneel with him.

"We need you." She whispered.

"I'm not... I don't deserve-"

Avery cut him off with a hooked finger under his chin as she forced him to meet her gaze. "I don't need you to be strong. I don't need you to be perfect. I just need you to be here, with me. With us. Be here."

"Avery-"

"Swear it to me, Simon."

He blinked away the tears and swallowed the lump in his throat. "Not even death could keep me from you." He breathed as he pulled the woman he loved into his arms, their daughter between them.

*

Across the city from the reunited couple, the city's new hero Zephyr faced the leader of the villains that had sought to take over from the vanished Phantom. Her right hand pressed tightly in Arton's as he listed the terms of their agreement.

"No holidays or birthdays. No hitting in the face. No shelters or schools. No guns and no killing." Zephyr nodded with every word. "Anything else your highness?" She shook her head, slightly fearful of the switch of emotion in his attitude. He pulled her closer, using their still connected hands as leverage. "You forgot to say hospitals." He sneered before releasing her hand sharply and turning to leave.

"Wait!" She called after him, her hand reaching out for his shoulder. When the skin of her hand connected with the skin on his shoulder, he swiftly spun around, half pushing and half pulling her to the opposing wall, his hands either side of her head. "What do you want for the hospitals?"

"What are you willing to give, princess?"

"Anything. I just need this truce." Arton scoffed a laugh and moved away from her with a smirk on his face. "Please."

He paused and rolled his eyes up to the ceiling before bringing them back down to her. "Fine. We have a truce. But I get to fire something at the mayor once a month."

Zephyr nodded as a smirk of her own stretched over her lips. "Make it once a week?" Arton nodded once before turning to leave, his hands in his pockets and a grin on his face.