off to the unknown.

Lukas and the others stared, unblinking at the scene unraveling, their breaths coming in fitful gasps. The beast was gone as quickly as it came stomping in. The earthly smell of the stream, like freshly tilled soil, lingered in the air. Shaken glances being exchanged throughout the group prompted a dazed response from Ira.

"We wouldn't want to provoke the ire of any more monsters. Let's head back." He ordered in an unbalanced manner, his palms pressing against the ground to bring himself onto his feet. Both hands clasped around his sevint, his thumbs pressed tightly into the wood while he waited for the others to regain their footing. They brushed themselves off, though it did nothing to help their muddied clothes and dirt-streaked skin, and continued their trek. This time steering back towards the camp, they'd lost whatever courage they held to carry on venturing deeper into the woods. 

Reaching the camp, the people who'd stayed all gathered, barraging them with questions.

"Did you bring back any water? My children are in need of a drink!"

"Caught any fish?"

"Oh, I hope so! The foragers' idea of mushrooms and herbs hadn't appeased my family at all." called a wary woman. Their hopeful faces gradually twisted into that of agitation at the sight of the group's empty hands. Raeve took notice of Ira's exhausted bearings whilst he looked seconds away from collapsing. His mouth opened and closed as he started to speak hesitantly, not exactly overjoyed to throw the village into a fit with the news.

"Wait," Raeve shouted above them. "Give them some room, they'll tell you about it later, after some rest." The people slowly stepped away from the newly returned, watching intently when they parted ways to find someplace to sleep. Hours after, everyone knew of the happening. Novius paced in circles, his shoulders rigid as he walked. He'd recently talked with Raeve, and now, Ira.

The two border guards loured at him from the edge of the camp, waiting for him to carry out their request. Sensing Novius's reluctance to speak, Almera called everyone to attention herself, much to the headstrong elders' contempt. She looked over those who flocked together with a sympathetic expression, her hands folded behind her back.

"The ones who strive to protect you, have once again, deemed it necessary to move on," Almera stated, her voice ringing clearly and calmly. "I'm sure you may all agree, having heard of the terrible incident."

Murmurs of approval budded through the crowd but were soon followed by doubtful looks and queries. Almera dipped her head, having foreseen their uncertainty.

"We have not yet decided where to go," she spoke, shifting her weight onto the other foot. "Please allow us a moment to decide what path would be best. After all, we must think of the children." She nodded, earning appreciative smiles from families. The elders huddled together, joined by Raeve, Ira, and the rest of the border guards. Their stances were tense while they voiced their opinions in serious, interjecting bursts.

Lukas bit the inside of his cheek, wavering near, though not close enough to be noticed. He'd wished to make his theory known to everyone, but he knew he would only be met with haughty stares. He stood with his frustration about ready to boil over, yet was brought down to a simmer the moment someone drew close to where he leaned on the trunk of a weathered sap tree. It was Norman, a downcast look disappearing and being replaced with an indifference when Lukas drew his eyes to him. Lurios trailed behind, his folded wings, once glossy and magnificent, now drooping and covered with sticky mud from the escape back at the village.

The other two Pegasi stood behind Lurios, sniffing at bees on a wildflower patch. It was silent for a long minute before Lukas tried his hand at offering a few words of reassurance.

"That's not why I came," Norman says, having glimpsed Lukas' features pulling down in careful consideration. He felt somewhat undeserving of the apologies coming his way, leaving himself to wallow in grief. He pushed his hand into his pocket, his fingers clasping around the azets he'd been given days earlier. Lukas shook his head, catching sight of the sun glinting off the coins. He stepped backward, a sign of a refusal to take them.

"I can't help you." Norman insisted, gripping hold of Lukas' wrist and dropping the coins into his palm. Clenching the azets in hand, a newfound resolve uncovered within him. He appeared to back down, slipping the azets into his pouch tied onto his waist. A familiar sweet scent drifted close. Lukas looked around, a feeling of relief rising as he realized this could perhaps help the current cynical air.

His sights landed on what he was searching for, guided by the constant hum of bees. There was a beehive gilded with golden wax, and wonderful clumps of honeycomb entombed inside were sure to lift anyone's spirits. It hung atop a branch a couple of arm lengths away. Norman had already turned to leave, yet Lukas raised his hand.

"Wait, look!" he says, lifting his arms in a grand gesture towards his discovery. A proud smile spread across his face as he waited for a reaction. Norman blinked, glancing at Lukas, then the beehive, and down again. He lowered his head, the tiniest hint of shared delight being shown in a slight crinkle of his eyes.

Much to Lukas' surprise, when Norman spoke it was a question about the honey, and not him expelling the idea and leaving.

"How will we get it down?" he queried, his head raised again and falling into its usual frown.

Hello! remember to vote on this chapter if you enjoyed it! have a good day/night ^^