Searching

(Obligatory angst warning)

It was the next day after defeating the Centipeedle mother and we see Rory preparing supplies for something.

Rory's POV

"Shovel... check, locator... check..." I continue listing things I'll need before feeling a hand on my shoulder. "What?" I blankly respond without looking.

"R-Rory, about yesterday..."

"I'm fine Pearl." I say as I close my bag and stand up.

"It's that time already, isn't it?" I heard Garnet ask.

"Yeah." I once again blankly responded as I went over to the warp pad.

"Rory, maybe it's time for you to-"

"Time for me to what?" I cut off Pearl, my back still to them.

"Time for you to stop looking. Whoever you're looking for, there's a high possibility that-"

"Don't you finish that sentence!" I snapped at them as I turned around. "We do this every time I go out looking for her and you have no idea if that's true!"

"Rory please, she's gone!" Pearl reasons.

"How would you know that Pearl! The last gem that knows anything about what happened to 'her' is missing and no one knew where she went either!" I argue making them go silent

"It's easy for you to say, Pearl." I say making her look at me with a scrutinous look knowing what I'm about to say "You know what happened to Rose and where she went. While I have no idea what happened to 'her' because I wasn't there!" I say making her look away.

"Rory!" Garnet shouts trying to scold me.

"And you've got it good, Garnet. You're always together so you have no idea how I feel!"

She looks away as well. "This is something I have to do, neither of you would understand." I say as I activate the warp.

---

I warped to one of the many battlefields of the war, the locator in my hand trying to find the gem I lost. "Where are you?"

The locator picks something up and I bring out the shovel and dig.

After hours of digging, I'm still met with the same results as I have had for thousands of years, nothing.

----

Hours pass as Rory searches, then days until she reaches a familiar location.

"My old patrol route, the place where we met and where you never returned to." She said as she began to reminisce and sing. Silhouettes of the two began to play out her memories.

Her silhouette, shaded red, approaches a blue lanky silhouette, the blue one was cautious at first but they converse soon as the blue silhouette slowly begins to trust her, the blue silhouette then flies off as her silhouette waves.

Every time I think I'm closer to the heart

Of what it means to know just who I am

I think I've finally found a better place to start

But no one ever seems to understand

She stands at a nearby warp pad, she sees her silhouette arguing with a silhouette of another gem, her silhouette walks away mad while the other silhouette fades away as they use the warp.

She closes her eyes as she walks away, she arrives at a cliff where she sees her silhouette sitting together with the blue silhouette again, her head resting on the blue one's shoulder as they discuss something.