Chapter XII: Rolling girl

"You died as a murderer and you've been reborn as a hero. Will you stay on this path?"

.
.
.

Author POV

"I will try my best" you said. "That's my final answer"

Oda closed his eyes and took a deep breath for a moment, only to process what was happening.

"You don't have to worry about anything" he finally spoke up. "I can see clearly that you want to be a better person. To go back to being a good person"

"You can read people really well, Oda-san"

"I'm pleasantly surprised that you still remember my name"

"How could I forget?"

"My name or how you were about to kill me?" He asked, a hint of cockiness present in his voice as he crossed his arms to his chest

You covered your face with your hands and let out a frustrated sigh.

"I said I'm sorry, I never meant to" you whined as he chuckled lightly

"I'm just kidding. I apologise, I shouldn't have said that"

"You know" you said after a moment of silence. "It's surprising how you can trust me so easily, especially someone like me"

"Ah, no, no. Don't say that" he said and his smile turned upside down. "I can see that you want a change, but you're yet far away to be trusted. We don't know if you're telling the truth or you're just a really good actress and this is just a scenario well made to bring the Agency to an end. We're not keeping you only because you suddenly turned good and you're having a kid, you're also under our observation, we can't simply let you go. You can gain our trust, we all live a simple, easy life, but also break it in a matter of seconds. It's your choice, [L/N]-san"

"Fair enough" you muttered, looking away. "I won't take this chance for granted, I want to gain my freedom back and give this child a chance to a better life than what I had" you chuckled a little. "Man, who knew that this little guy would make me want to run away to safety and live?"

"It's in our instinct as human beings, [L/N]-san. You have a reason to live, a chance to a new life, so of course you're hanging there. A lot of people would love to be in your position, right now"

"I'm aware"

"But it's also very risky to stay here in Yokohama"

"I know..." you sighed. "I wanted to run away to a new country, but I ain't got the money. The motherfucker would've tracked down if I used a credit card, so that would've been suicide at its finest. Even simple money. He has the best people there who would find out where and how his money was used. So I left without a yen and I think my electronics belong to a dumpster at the moment"

"You really thought that through, I'm impressed" Oda said

"Nah, not really. I just acted without thinking and realised after that my idiocy was kind of right"

Oda looked unfazed at you before he sighed.

"I really wanted to end it all" you continued. "When I found out that I'm carrying his child, I wanted to end it all and not put myself or this kid through more suffering... so I went to the ocean and simply let the waves take my life... But these weird feelings... my instincts acted on their own and my ability knew that I was in danger, so it acted on its own. I remember that I opened my eyes and saw only the deep blue ocean. Of course, the salt burned my eyes like a bitch, but that's not important. I know that I heard someone screaming something like: Someone, help! A woman is drowning! They identified my car so they knew that it was me who "drowned", so the Port Mafia sent a team to search for my body. I heard it all, through my funeral, burial. Everything" you said and felt shivers going down on your spine. "I used my ability to turn my organs into shadows, so they wouldn't find a pulse. I was dead, but alive at the same time. I realized that I can do this when I drowned. I didn't die in that moment because my ability turned my lungs and heart into shadows. I even turned my whole body into a shadow so I could get out from under the ground. In order to not get caught, I lived for a week as a shadow, but overusing my ability will only bring me organ failure. I consider myself lucky that your doctor here, Yosano-san I think, helped me. Otherwise, I'd be dead for real. She has... an amazing ability. No normal doctor could've saved me in that state"