Chapter XIV: Hard to face reality

Author POV

"What have I done...?"

"Oi, Dazai!"

Dazai flinched upon hearing his name being called. Chuuya clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"Stop worrying. Kazuki is fine. He's going to have to wear a cast tho, but he's going to be fine"

"That's... that's good to hear" Dazai murmured.

Chuuya looked at him worried before he sighed and sat next to him on the couch from the living room.

"This kid had the power to forgive you when you were about to do the unforgivable. He's much stronger than I thought. And more mature than you" Chuuya said almost bluntly, not caring if Dazai got mad at him.

"I know"

"It's no wonder where he got that from"

"Yeah... I know" Dazai said with a bitter smile. "They're like twins, but with a five year age gap between them two"

"Yeah. You know what, Dazai?"

"Yes, Chuuya?"

"Maybe it's better if we don't mention [Y/N] for a while" Chuuya said and Dazai said nothing, he just stared at the ground. "It'll be better for everyone. What do you say?"

"I guess you're right" Dazai sighed, holding his head in his hands. "We must stay focused. Vulnerability is not something tolerated in the Mafia"

"That's what I'm saying"

But in reality, the mafioso was just lost in his thoughts.

He decided to take the matter into his own hands and solve the mystery of your death.

"I'm 100% sure she had more than one reason" he would often think.

.
.
.
Time skip
One month later
Evening
Chuuya POV

So for one month straight, I did my best work as a "detective" to find out what were actually the reasons behind this unfortunate event.

I gathered as much evidence as I could to come to a final conclusion. It's no easy task. There's no lead, only the past events and the present.

I felt like some sort of cheap Sherlock Holmes every time I preferred to stay inside and do this "side job".

The ashtrays are full of ash and stubs from cigarettes. Coffee stains are all over the kitchen table, but I don't feel like it's important to clean that right now. A lot of paperwork is scattered around the floor and on my bed, full of insignificant scribbles.

Sure, I could've hired a detective to do this job for me, but I don't want Dazai to find out and ask me why I'm doing all of this for his dead wife.

Also because I'd be dead as well.

I fell in love with his wife. That's the truth. Happy?

I'm doing all of this because I don't want to lead a life where I don't know certainly why the woman I love killed herself.

A lot of people would blame me if I were honest regarding what happened.

"If you loved her so much, why didn't you help her? Why didn't you fight for her?" that would be the two questions I'd hear on the daily.

You see, if you were in my place, you'd understand me. But you're not, so it's easier to point at me and judge me for my actions, call me a backstabber because I betrayed my boss. You'd even blame her for being unfaithful.