Persuasion

Author's notes: This work is mostly canon compliant expect for Bellatrix's involvement in the final battle. Voldemort looses the war and this story is a Bellamione story which takes place afterwards. This will be a slow build story so enjoy the ride.

Setting: The war was over. Bellatrix betrayed Voldemort in the end. (We will find out later exactly what that entailed.) She received a partial pardon from the ministry which meant that she had to participate in a rehabilitation program. She was tasked to help rebuild Hogwarts and in return she could live there and teach until she could be given her full pardon.

Hermione had been absent after the war finding escape in the muggle world. She had no idea what had been going on at Hogwarts.

This is where our story begins.

It had been two years since the Battle of Hogwarts had ended.

Isolation.

It seemed like an intimidating word but to Hermione Jean Granger, one third of the Golden Trio, it was exactly what she craved. For the past two years, Hermione had been keeping residence at her parent's house. It's not like they were around to use it.

Harry and Ron of course went to work as Aurors right way but for Hermione, she couldn't fathom working for the Ministry. Even with Kingsley Shacklebolt appointed the new minister, she knew it would be a long time before the archaic views of the ministry would changed.

Hermione opted for a simple, quiet life. Her parents were dentist so she never had to want for money. She was working part time at a local muggle library in order to save up her money as she intended on buying her own place one day. All her free time and been dedicated to keeping up with the current muggle technology. She had been fascinated with all the changes since she came back from the wizarding world. Hermione's main focus the last two years was trying to figure out how to restore the memories she had taken from her parents.

"Damn it. Two years and not a single bloody answer." Hermione spat in frustration as she slammed a large magical book down that she had surely read a few times before.

A tap at the window alerted Hermione to the fact that she had an owl mail delivery waiting for her. She retrieved the letters and gave the owl a treat before sending her on her way. She never had letters to send in return. In the beginning, Hermione had kept up correspondence with Ginny, Harry and Ron, Luna and even McGonagall but as time went on, Hermione had less and less to say.

On the table, lay her letter to Hogwarts. September 1, 2000 was the day Hermione was to go back to school to complete her 7th and final year. The new Head Mistress had offered her the position of head girl but Hermione never responded with an acceptance. It was five days before term started and Hermione had it in her head that she just wasn't going back. Sure, she wanted to finish and get her NEWTS but she was turning 20 soon.

"Impossible. I'd be almost a decade older than the first years," she was arguing with herself when she heard a loud crack behind her.

"Now Miss Granger, that is no valid reason for not completing your education," responded the unmistakeable voice behind her.

"Ah, Headmistress, what are you doing here?"

"Please, I've told you before, after fighting a war together, call me Minerva." Replied the headmistress with a smile.

"Umm okay. Minerva. Don't think me rude, I just wasn't expect company today or ever really."

"My dear girl, I'm simply here because I never received your acceptance of head girl. Your education has always been your top priority so consider me confused when you didn't respond in a timely manner."

"With all due respect Minerva, I'm going to be 20 and it just seems a little silly to be returning to school with the youngest students being half my age," Hermione responded honestly.

"Miss Granger, what about your friends. Ms. Weasley, Ms. Lovegood and Mr. Longbottom are all returning and I'm sure they are anxious to see you."

"Yes ma'am and I've thought about returning but Ginny and Luna are younger than I am so they won't quite have the same experience as me. Also, didn't Neville finish his NEWTS through the ministry last year? I heard from Luna that he was returning as the new Herbology Professor."

"Yes, that is true...". Minerva started to reply but Hermione cut her off.

"Please, don't get me wrong. I'm honored that you wished to make me head girl and yes my education is important. I just can't go back to living in the dorms and also being one hundred percent transparent, I've had no luck in finding the answers to returning my parents' memories." Hermione sighed in defeat while looking down and playing with her hands in her lap.

"MIss Granger..."

Hermione interrupted, " please call me Hermione."

"Very well then, Hermione," McGonagall added with a wink. "I knew it would take a fair bit of convincing to bring you back. So I've prepared a counteroffer in lieu of head girl status."

"Go on...". Hermione said with her eyebrow raised in curiosity.

"As you know, Charity Burbage faced an unfortunate ending by the hand of Voldemort. We have not had any luck filling her position. This is where you come into the picture."

"I'm not sure I follow. I have not yet completed my NEWTS." Hermione responded with an air of confusion.

"I am well aware of that fact however given the special circumstances and had there not been a war, you would've finished school and been well into your career by now."

At that statement, Hermione sighed, stood up and walked over to the window gazing out at nothing in particular.

"Hermione, dear. I'd like you to come and be our temporary Muggle Studies professor. You can finish you lessons, take your NEWTS and earn a living teach about muggles. This is a topic that I'm confident you have an extraordinary wealth of knowledge."

Before Hermione spoke, Minerva continued. "Of course, I wouldn't expect you to live in the dorms. You would have your own professor's quarters."

After a few minutes of silence, Hermione spoke "That's a very tempting offer, Headmistress. But what about my parents"

"Ahh yes. I'm glad you brought that up. It just so happens that our new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is proficient in mind magic and has offered her assistance in this matter."

Hermione just stared back at the woman with curiosity and confusion filling her features. Minerva stood signaling the end of her visit and Hermione follow the gesture.

"So, Miss Granger, I'll be seeing you at Hogwarts on the 1st of September. Do see to it that you arrive before noon so you can get settled before the students arrive. Don't worry about the train, your fireplace is connected to the network so just floo right into my office," said McGonagall expecting nothing but a yes in reply.

Hermione just blink and responded, "of course, see you then."

With a smile and a crack, Minerva apparated from Hermione's home as quickly as she entered it.

"Well, I guess that changes everything," Hermione spoke to no one.