Jailbreak

"Eda! What the hell, you ok?" I gasp, catching my breath and taking her head from Luz.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine larger human. This just happens when you get older."

"Does it?" Luz cautiously asks, looking over my shoulder.

"Finally," the warden boomed, "I have you cornered, Eda the Owl Lady."

He goes over to the rat and snatches the crown.

"Weh?"

"My guards could never get you, but I knew if I took your pet's toy, you'd come running."

He crushes the crown in his hands and drops the crumpled cardboard to the ground.

"No! My power!" the pet screeches, falling to his knees.

"What do you want with me?" Eda demands, "I've never broken any of your stupid laws. In front of you."

"I want you...to go out with me."

The warden drops to one knee and pulls out a bouquet of flowers.

"What the fuck..." I whisper.

The other guards cheer him on in the background and the warden shoots them a thumbs up.

"You've always evaded our capture. You were the one who got away. And I found that, alluring."

I make a gagging sound and Luz chuckles, finally over the whole Eda getting decapitated thing I guess, which happened to be the wrong idea because the warden throws the bouquet over his shoulder, turns a hand into tentacles, and grabs me and Luz by the backs of our shirts and holds us up in the air, Eda's head falling out of my hands.

"You brats stay out of this!" He yells, before picking up Eda's head off the ground by her hair, "So how about it Owl Lady? The most powerful witch on the boiling isles and the feared Warden Wrath. We'd be the strongest power couple ever! And, I mean, it's not like you have much of a choice right now."

Eda looks around, considering the situation. I manage to get a look over Wrath's shoulder and see one of the guards grabbed the pet.

"Alright," She sighs, "You win warden. I'd just like to say something first. Come closer? No, just, come a bit closer. Just...yeah that's good."

Eda swiftly blows a raspberry all over Wrath's face. Conveniently, this disgusts him enough that he drops me and Luz so he can wipe the spit off his mask. This absolutely cracks Eda up and she cackles wildly.

"Impudent wench! Do you have any idea how many germs there are in your mouth? Blegh."

While he yells, me and Luz sneak back and Luz grabs Eda's staff. I try to silently tell her to not do anything but she's too focused.

"Get over it! You had your guards stalk me, and then cut off my head! I am not going out with you."

Luz raises the staff above her head and slowly walks up behind Wrath.

"If you don't accept it, then I'll have no choice but to des-"

He is cut off by Luz whacking him full strength on the head with the staff. He falls down and drops Eda's head.

"Nice work smaller human!"

Two guards start approaching but Eda's body comes up and covers their faces with their hoods.

"Ok, we're going now," Luz says in a panic.

She scoops up Eda's head and waits for the pet, me, and Eda's body to come over, before readying the staff to fly. The owl at the top eyes start glowing and it unfurls its wings.

"Expecto...flying? Magicus...ecsapicus!"

I notice Wrath start to get up.

"Move it, bird stick!" I yell and, surprisingly, it begins flying away quickly, just as Warden Wrath climbs up to his feet.

"I won't let you get away again, Owl Lady!" He yells, both arms turning into tentacles as he uses them to propel himself forward and chase us.

As we sour through the prison, I see Luz notice the levers on the cells.

"Eda, a hand?" Luz asks, sticking her arm out.

One of Eda's hands detaches itself and Luz can open up the cells of the prisoners we talked to earlier. We burst through a door, then begin divebombing. Warden chases close behind. He lands a hit on the back of the staff, sending all of us to the ground.

"Ow! My bones!" The rat yelps.

Eda reattaches her head, reaches into her hair, pulls out the portal key, and hands it to me.

"Luz, Hunter, go back to the human realm."

"What about you guys?" Luz questioned.

"If you think this guy is bad, you should have seen her last boyfriend!" The pet squeaks.

"Not my boyfriend!" Eda protests.

"But I-I" Luz stammers.

Eda smacks the staff sending me and her up into the air. I lead it towards the cliff on the other side of the chasm around the conformatorium. I hop up and press the eye, which summons the portal door and it opens up.

"Come on Luz. Let's get out of here." I say, walking towards the door.

I don't hear her footsteps so I turn around and see her looking back.

"Luz. Let's go." I demand.

"No. We can't go. We need to help!" She exclaims.

"This isn't our world Luz. Mom is probably worried sick right now. Let's go."

"I-I can't. This is the world I've always dreamed of. I can't just leave it!"

"Luz, you don't know these people. You shouldn't risk yourself for them!"

"Well don't you think these people look a lot like you?" She retorts, tears in her eyes.

I just stand there, in stunned silence.

No. I'm not. This isn't my world. I'm not going to possibly die for people I just met.

"Fine." I sigh, stepping through the portal, "Come back when you're done living out your fantasy."

I click the eye and toss the key back through the portal.

The last thing I see before it folds back up is Luz's face. Eyes flowing with tears.