ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

𝗜𝗡 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗢𝗙 𝗔𝗥𝗬𝗔𝗩𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗔, there was a beautiful and prosperous country of Hastinapur. Hastinapur meaning the city of elephants was under the rule of Kuru royal family, the current king being Dhritarashtra. Dhritarashtra was an able king despite of blind.
Do not in any circumstance think that it will cause him any problem. He was a just, kind and a capable king. His kingdom was flourishing with happiness of its citizens. Maha Mahim and Maha Mantri Vidor were always there to assist him. 

Maha Mahim Bishma, he was the patriarch of the Kuru family. He was the uncle of the two brothers, Dhritarashtra and Vidor. A celibate. He vowed to never marry. 

Why?
Let's go into a little history.

Maha Mahim Bishma, who was then known as Devrat is the son of Late Maharaj Shantanu and Goddess Ganga and is a demigod. When Devrat turned 20, he was to be crowned the King of Hastinapur. But the to- be- wife of Shantanu as well as his step- mother Satyavati intervened. She questioned what fate would befall on her kids, if Devrat became the king? They will remain a mere servant of the king. 

So to make his father and step mother happy, Devrat a young man took an oath. He vowed that he would be a servant to the throne of Hastinapur, never to sit on it but will be the first one to fight for the person sitting on it. He vowed to remain a celibate and never raise a family so as to ensure that his heirs do not ask for the throne.

He took up a new name Bishma and was given the post of Maha Mahim. That is Excellency or perhaps you can say All father. Thus, he came to be known as Maha Mahim Bishma.
Seeing the fate bestowed upon his eldest son, Shantanu blessed Bishma that he could only die when he himself wished for it, nobody could kill him without his own will.