Chapter 13

Asuma's funeral was a quiet affair. Naruto was holding Ino's hand throughout the entire thing. He placed his other hand on Konohamaru's head when he heard the genin crying. This must have been tough for them both. Naruto had not seen Shikamaru in attendance. He didn't want to ask Ino or Choji if they knew something. They deserved to mourn in peace. Kurenai had been the first to place her flowers on Asuma's grave. Naruto didn't know what to do. She had a child growing, and the father had just died. He knew how tough it was to grow up without a father. The funeral was over before they knew it, and Naruto walked Ino home in silence. He still held her hand. "I'll be there if you need it..." Naruto says as they reach her home. "Thank you, Naruto..." Ino says as they hug goodbye. Naruto moves over to the training ground with his hands in his pockets.

Naruto was meditating again. It was late. He should rest, but he was so close. "Team Ten is moving out..." Kakashi says as he lands near Naruto. "I know... I can feel Ino's chakra," Naruto answers. "Ho... Having specifically something for your girlfriend, eh?" Kakashi says. Naruto could tell there was a teasing smile underneath his mask. "Shut up and get one yourself..." Naruto grumbles. "Way too troublesome if you ask me," Kakashi says. "Why did you come and warn me that they were leaving?" Naruto asks. "I'll be the one to lead Team Ten," Kakashi says. "And both Tsunade-sama and I want Team Kakashi to be backup under Yamato. Do give them some time to try and complete the mission on their own," Kakashi says. "Understood. I'll pack things up here and head over to the others," Naruto says as he stands up and dusts his pants. He gives Kakashi a mock salute and heads out. "You know you really should show your superiors some respect," Kakashi laments as he jumps over to the gate he knew Team Ten would meet.

Naruto was getting some last-minute meditation over the weird chakra. He sat on top of the wall where Team Yamato was supposed to meet. Naruto opens his eyes and then smirks. He had finally figured it out. 'Now to write things down...' He thinks as he pulls up a scroll and scribbles down his last thoughts. Unfortunately, his scribbles were interrupted by the remaining members of his team showing up. "Hello there Naruto," Sakura says to him. Naruto holds his hand as he finishes the last kanji. "There, all done. Hello Sakura, Sai, Yamato," Naruto says as he puts aside his scroll. "What were you working on?" Sai asks. "Just something I found... I can't really explain it myself," Naruto tries to wave aside their concern.

"Really? Anything we can help you with?" Yamato asks. "Doubt it... It's like an energy that surounds all of us. But can't tap into. Except I found a way to do it," Naruto says. He stands up from his lotus position and stretches out his back. He looks over the looks of his teammates. "Eh... sorry. I don't quite understand what you mean," Yamato says as he scratches the back of his head. "No harm, I can't explain it well myself," Naruto says. "Should we move out?" He adds as he walks through the gates.

Naruto and his team were travelling fast. "Two clicks 12 o'clock?" Naruto asks his captain. "Yeah, two clicks, 12 o'clock," Yamato says. "Let's speed up," Naruto urges his team. "We need to save our strength. We will reach them in time," Yamato tries to calm Naruto down. "Fine, but, if someone dies because we are late I am blaming you!" Naruto says as he falls back in line. Yamato sighs. Naruto must have taken a real mental beating during the Kazekage rescue mission.

'Only Kakashi's heart is worth something...' Kakuzu thinks as he takes on Kakashi in Taijutsu. 'He will pay for the one he destroyed with his own!' Kakuzu thinks as he gets a solid punch in finally. He had to give the elite Jonin some props for being hard to hit. The other two were too easy... They laid knocked out some distance away from him. Kakashi had done an excellent job diverting his attention away from the children. "It's over..." Kakuzu says as he walks over to the crater that Kakashi was lying in. "That is my line..." A new young voice says from the clearing. He had obnoxious yellow hair and clear blue eyes. He wore the traditional chuunin outfit for a Konoha shinobi. He looked like the Yondaime and felt like the Shodai. This boy is strong. Kakuzu smiles. There was a heart worth twice as much as even Kakashi's.