Part IV - Augury

Gwen leans forward, probably trying to make sense of the shard. My fingers fold instinctively, hiding it on my palm. Now the two inquisitive green eyes are facing me. Not sure of what to say I merely rotate my closed fist down and, using my index finger, softly tap her nose. To this, she pouts playfully and then allows herself to a somewhat worried smile.

A bit of blood ascends to the surface of the gauze and she notices it.

> I'm so sorry! - she keeps pressure against my heel - , I did catch the kids playing here yesterday. I'm guessing they broke something and tried to clean it up but I didn't notice anything gone. Just a few things out of order and, well, the alarm clock...

> It's just a small cut, don't worry. Looks way worse than it is. - I'm trapped in this loop, watching the bottle shattering again and again and then not at all. Pieces of translucent glass with tiny colourful patterns here and there scattered all over the floor and the carpet. One moment they're there and the other gone. Wasn't it just a dream?!And yet her bottle is still intact over there and I'm holding a non missing piece of it. Am I going insane? Does she have another one exactly the same that I don't know of?

> The clock, you say?! - I try to escape my thoughts.

> Yeah... - she looks to her bedside table and proceeds - it just stopped and the buttons are not working. The screen just froze at 18:21:14.

>That's odd... I'll check that later, but I'm guessing we'll be buying you a new one. - I reply.

Gwen checks apprehensively under the gauze and the blood seems to be stagnating. She asks me if it hurts but I just shake my head. What I can't shake is the feeling that something is amiss. That the dreams were as vivid as reality and it all seems connected somehow. No, but it's nonsense. Regardless, I could swear I was awake before, and yet here am I now! How can I be sure this is not another dream? That all of this won't turn into a nightmare as well? I look to my right:

"91% Isopropyl Alcohol. First Aid And Antiseptic. Warning! Flammable!"

I read the bottle carefully. I was told once that when you're dreaming your mind can't keep track of small details like that. That if you turn away and then back something else will be there instead. I look to Gwen, tending to my cut and back at the bottle.

"91% Isopropyl Alcohol. First Aid And Antiseptic. Warning! Flammable!"

I'm relieved but not yet satisfied. I want to put all of this behind me but I must be sure. I'll look away for longer this time. The blood stains on the floor and towel have darkened already. Gwen is nearly finishing wrapping up my foot. She has a hand for this sort of thing. Actually she's good at almost anything that she puts her mind into. Her skin contrasts with mine a bit. Being a ginger she doesn't tan much, but she gets cute little freckles on her nose that she tries to hide. I wish she didn't.

Now back to the alcohol:

"91% Isopropyl Alcohol. First Aid And Antiseptic. Warning! Flammable!"

A loud sigh of pure relief escapes me.

> Oh, I'm sorry, is it too tight?! - Caught up in the endeavor of trying to tell apart dream from reality I believe I stopped listening to her for while now. Something about the kids, I think? I feel the tension slowly leaving my body and I just drop the shard next to the stained gauze and pull her up, closer to me.

> No, not at all, it's perfect.

> You weren't listening, were you?

I lay her in bed, next to me. Her fingers starts playing with my hair as mine start to wander just above the edge of her pants. I feel the gentle ridge of her left hip and allow my index and middle fingers to gently glide through the valley that lays below her navel. Her abdomen contracts as she starts to bite her lip. Reaching the other side my hand slips under her shirt and starts moving upwards, pulling her closer.
Her lips reach mine. We indulge in each other softly. Passionately. Savagely.
She holds my neck and I pull her hip against mine. The sound of a shoe hitting the floor is followed by a soft stroke on the side of my leg as her foot starts moving up.
Gwen's here. She's mine. The nightmare is over.
She pulls my shirt off. Our gazes meet for a moment. I want her badly.
I dive into her, kissing the satin top of her breast and pulling the blouse down exposing her bra.