Coffee and Caramel

Seokjin tapped his glass to get the attention of all the aristocrats currently gathered in the ballroom. "Excuse me, everyone, I would like to introduce the omega of the hour, the reason we are all gathered here tonight...the next Lord Min, Jimin Park!" Jimin took a nervous step forward, holding his hands to prevent himself from playing with his hair as he normally did when he was in uncomfortable situations, smiling at the glittering assemblage of London's nobility.

"Is that really him?" He heard someone whisper. "But he looks so common."

"He's an American," someone else responded snottily, "and a journalist. I don't know which is worse."

"This will make the most delicious gossip at the club."

Jimin swallowed thickly as the whispers swam around him, consuming him until the only thought on his mind was, All I wanted was a story, not to be the story.

A few weeks earlier...

Jimin yawned as he stumbled out of Heathrow airport after his seven-hour flight, stumbling to a stop as he spotted a sleek BMW pulling up next to him. His confusion quickly dissipated as he recognized the beta behind the wheel. "Hobi!"

"Minnie!" Hoseok jumped out of the car and rushed over to pull the omega into a hug. "Damn, I've missed you. It's been too long."

"Way too long!" Jimin agreed, giggling a bit as Hoseok's breath tickled his neck as the beta inhaled his scent. Jimin had expected as much, seeing as back in college, the beta had always talked about how much he enjoyed Jimin's jasmine and amber scent. "Graduation was six years ago! Completely unacceptable!" Hoseok pulled out of the hug and shook his head with a smile before helping Jimin place his bags in the trunk of the car. Once that was taken care of, the pair climbed into the front of the car and Hoseok pulled away from the airport, handing Jimin a coffee cup that had been resting in the cupholder.

"Toffee mocha latte?" Jimin gasped quietly as he inhaled the warm scent. "I can't believe you still remember my coffee order!"

"What I can't believe is that I braved the heathen depths of a Starbucks for you." Hoseok shuddered as Jimin giggled into his drink. "Those places are absolutely dire."

"In that case, I promise you my firstborn." Jimin responded in mock seriousness. "After all, it is the only way I could ever repay your sacrifice."

Hoseok chuckled, but still played along. "Thank god you understand the severity of the situation. But I am reasonable, so a second or third born would be perfectly acceptable."

Jimin laughed before changing the subject. "Thanks for taking a day off from the bank on my behalf. This tour will be way better with you there."

"Of course." Hoseok sent him a small smile before giving him a questioning look. "But why exactly are we touring Agust House?"

"I found a memoir from the thirteenth Duchess of Shadow where she alluded to some scandal with her mate." Jimin explained. "She said, 'I bought my freedom from him and comfort for life in exchange for silence.' It got me thinking about how families like the Gardner-Mins must have more secrets in their past, but no one has ever exposed them." He felt excitement flowing through him thanks to the coffee and the prospect of him unveiling some dark secret of one of the oldest aristocratic families in England's history. "If I did, I know there would be an audience. I found an editor who agreed, and who loved my royal coverage from when I still worked at the magazine, and they asked me to write a book."

"That's so amazing, Jimin! I'm proud of you." Jimin quietly thanked him. "But is a house tour really the best place to start your research?"

"The servants will be there." Jimin stated. "You never know who might talk. Plus, I'll be able to get a sense of the estate. I'll need that to set the scene."