Chapter 3

It was the next day cycle, in space, the ship drifting through the ether of nothingness casually. The engines filtered on and off, powering the vessel through the natural currents of the vacuum of darkness. Merlin, free to roam the ship, had taken to exploring, seeing as no one knew their way around, he had pottered curious and lithe as a cat along the winding corridors, peering into empty cabins and storage holds, discovered two holographic suites which seemed a little excessive, and more water closets than was entirely reaosnable.

The other men had set up their usual flight routine quickly and were esounced comfortably. But Merlin could not find any of them now. The bridge was empty. He puzzled about it as he raised up a set of stair he hadn't been up yet and emerged onto a large open space covered in a clear dome - the deck.

The crew were all there, huddle in a crown in front of hem, and beyond that he couldn't bsee, only hear the clashing and buzzing of metal on metal. He dashed up the last few steps and dodged the crowd: Arthur and Gwaine were fighting one another, faces lined in inexorable concertration as they slashed and parried at one another: fighting in ernast. Leo the Leptailurus was curled up nearby asleep, unconcerned about the nerby peril.

"Oh my stars! Stop" called Merlin, rushing forward to break up the two fighting men. Percivel wrapped one of his strong hands gently about Merlin's upper arm, holding him back.

"Leave them! It's a duel, you can't interrupt." he explained.

"What are they duelling over?" Merlin asked, eyes widened in innocent concerne.

"Honour" Arthur grunted. Lancelot rolled his liquid brown eyes.

"What if they die?!" asked the mysterious pale man, an indeciferable look of worry flitting across his little face like a hummingbird.

With a broad parry Gwaine lunged at his captain, his hair swishing behind him like a shadow, his aim true and right, but Arthur was too quick for his friend, without blinking an eyelid he dodged to the left, wrapping his leg around one of Gwaine's and unbalancing him so he fell onto his back. His face firm and serious, Arthur raise his sword to the other man's throat, the tip resting on his adam's apple like a lover's kiss.

"Conceed" he whispered, his tone ice. Gwaine broke into a handsome grin, his teeth thousand watt bulbs in the dark. Arthur rolled his eyes and offered a strong hand to his friend, pulling him to his feet with a great strength that Merlin noticed.

"I concede the master suite to you, Captain!" laughed the Irish man, giving flourishing bow to his captain.

"You fought well. The second cabin is yours." Arthur announce, his voice regal in pronouncement as he replaced his sword in its scabbard.

"Hey!" Leon griped, miffed at the room he had a right to as first mate being taken away from him.

"You can always share it with me" Gwaine grinned, smoothly, without missing a beat, but with a twinkle in his eye.

"Wouldn't you rather have Perce?" Leon asked, sarcasting.

"In your dreams" Percival blushed at the thought, his large face gently red.

"You wound me!" Gwaine grasped dramatically at his heart, twisting and stepping back balletically to where Leo slept, and scratch the sleeping cat softly behind the ear.

"Merlin" Arthur summoned the raven haired man to him with a twitch of his head and left his crew to squabble, leading him over to the edge of the great dome that looked out over the vastness of intergalactic space. He gazed out into the nothing, briefly, counting the stars, before turning to his companion.