Chapter 14

Meanwhile: drifting around the Siostam system it was easy to forget they were hunted - another ship had ambushed them as they travelled through interspace and got a few too many good shots in - the main solar sail had been damaged and repairs were necesary.

The stalright beat down on them warmly like a clear summers day as the crew busied about the deck, mostly shirtless against the hard labour and warm atmophere. It was congenial and spirits where high, a buzz of relaxation in the air, as if the looming sword of Damolcles had been secured and no longer poised a threat. No-one dared breath the fleeting thought thatwould have flittered through all of their minds if they'd allowed it; that the respite was temporary. Merlin for his part was alternating between basking in the daylight of another star and reclining in the cool shade, far more at home in the dark but enjoying the gentle warm breeze all the same - and enjoying the view of Arthur's tanned torso even more.

"Gwaine and Lance I want you up the rigging - get that sail down. Percy check the wiring, Elyan, the other sails, Leon you're with me." the blond captain ordered, gesturing to the foresail which had a fine hairline crack running through the centre of the fine mesh solar pannel. The flexible material around it crackled and spat with sparks as the current was arresnted by the damage.

"Aye captain!" the first mate responded with a small respectful salute.

Gwaine and Elyan deftly climbed the rigging like mice. They scurried to the broken sail and began unwinching it.

"Shantyman! Give us a tune!" Percival's strong voice cut throught the calm sounds of labour on the deck. Gwaine perked up with a grin.

"Are you feeling Randy Dandy Oh?" Gwaine obliged.

"I'll not have you besmirching my captaincy, thanks" Arthur cut in with a sparkle in his sea-blue eys that betrayed his warning tone as joking.

"If you insist, princess." the pilot responded with a smirk. He straightened up and shook his hair back, clearing his through. Then his voice rang out like a clear Irish timbre:

"There once was a ship that put to sea, The name of the ship was the Josephine, The winds blew up and a star crashed down, Oh blow, me bully boys, blow!" He snag out clearly across the deck - a made up verse but carrying the tune they all knew - aiming another quick wink at Merlin who could only stare in amazement as the whole crew joined in for the chorus, still busy about their work.

"Soon may the Stellarman come, To bring us glory and freedom, One day, when the pirating's done, We'll take our leave and go!" They sang, their voices ringing clear and true about the masts of the billowing ship.

"Just two weeks since the prince was born, When down on her betrayal bore, The king did call all hands and swore, He'd take those ships in tow" Percy crooned in solo in a velveted baritone. Once his last bass note had resounded the whole crew joined in once more for the chorus. Then Lance took up the bton:

"Before the king's fleet hit the water, She cried for help, her son was brought her, Frantically the king he saught her, When she fled back home" joined in Lance for his solo, solar winds ruffling his hair as his eyes shone with joy.

"The lines were drawn, the queen was free, The king his mind was full of greed, And he belonged to the Conquerer's creed, She took those ships in tow" Elyan;s voice quavered after another chorus, his eyes a dance of mirth.

"For forty days or even more, His fleet destroyed it was no more, HIs only want: to settle the score, So running she did go" Leon warbled leading them into another repeeated verse in unison.

"As far as I've heard, the fight's still on, The queen and her son are both still gone, Until he hears his destiny call, To claim the throne as prince of all" Arthur finished, hitting a high note at the end with a sort of strained power that made his face turn red.

Merlin clapped in delight. His lithe hands tapping together and him stomping his feet a little bit as he beamed like a tractor. His excitement was contagious.

"That was amazing!" he glushed. The pirates stood around awkwardly, subtle blushes making themselves known on their individual cheeks, unused as they were to singing in front of an audience. The captain especially burned a bright red, which was completely unlike the dark of the space they journeyed through, and complimented his straw colour hair prettily.

"Don't blush, I loved it! Was it about Uther and Ygraine?" the star aked, taking the men by surprise.

"Huh, I suppose it might be. Never thought about it." Arthur smiled, a moue of a frown about his often handsome face.

"They say the chorus is a prophesy" Gwaine smiled, sliding down the rigging and landing with a dramatic flourish.

"'They' Gwaine? Who are 'they'?" Elyan asked from above.

"You know. People. In taverns." Gwaine grinned.

"The most trustyworthy and reliable of folk! If anyone was going to know about a prophecy of the Stellarman appearing out of nowhere to bring glory and freedom and end the iron fisted rule of the monarchy, it would be the people in a tavern!" sarcasted Percy from the deck.

"Who is the Stellarman?" Merlin asked Gwaine, who was shirtless, his strong male pecs standing sweatily and his abs a washboard of delight shimmering with damp and moist sweat. Gwaine enjoyed his chest; it's taut muscles a glimouring symbol of his own masculiness, which he wore with pride and called out to men and women alike.

"Nodody knows, could be a God, could be a peasant, could even be you!" Gwaine swished around the deck, wrapping a personable arm around the dark haired star's slight shoulders and booping him flirtily on the nose. He smiled a wide and unknowable smile, one that spoke of an unspoken secret mystery.

"Are you quite done flirting? The sail's ready" Lance called from where Elyan was still busying up the mast.

"I am not flirting I am filling Merlin in on our rich spacefaring history!" Gwaine petulantly whined.

"Gwaine I am older than the Old World I know more about the history of piracy than you could comprehend in a million lifetimes." pointed out Merlin, amused.

"You're what?!" Elyan gasped from the rigging, confused.

"He older than the Old World" Gwaine repeated. Elyan looked down at him, nonplussed.

"I'm a star." Merlin said, bluntly. Elyan looked amazed.

"A star? Why am I always the last to know everything!" He griped.

"Can't you tell by the way he glows so prettily?" Gwain put in clasping his hands and fluttering his eyelashes at Merlin who rolled his own eyes in response - used to the pilot by now.

"Gwaine! The sail, or I'll have you walk the plank!" Arthur barked, clenching his fist very hard at the mischievous way Gwaine's eyes had noticed Merlin's luminous body. Merlin blushed more luminously.

"Go do your job before Arthur breaks something" he muttered to Gwaine.

"Ah he's just jealous" Gwaine strode off swaggeringly, air of nonchalence a miasma around him, throwing Merlin a wink and an air kiss.

"I am not jealous." Arthur piped up from next to Merlin, standing very close. Merlin smile.

"Not even a little bit?" the star teased a confession out of him like a knot out of matted hair.

"....A little bit." the captain admitted. Trying and flailing to keep his handsome features composed away from a grin.

"Clotpole" the raven haired man replied, the insult of endearment riddled with affectation.