Chapter 17

As Eleena went through the slow process of regaining consciousness, she began tuning in once more to her surroundings. She must've been positioned near the window, considering there was a gentle breeze blowing past her face. With it, came the hospital wing's customary smell of healing herbs and potions, mingling with the fresh scent of the morning air. Shifting slightly, Eleena allowed her magic to roam. This enabled her to sense any nearby presence such as those belonging to the three individuals sitting by her bedside, one of which was holding her hand.

Peeking one eye open, she was glad to see that Harry was the one latched onto her arm, his head positioned on top of her stomach as he dozed off. Smiling, she raised her free hand and ran it through the Gryffindor's messy locks. This succeeded in waking him, allowing Eleena to have his full, albeit drowsy, attention.

"Good morning..." She greeted in a jovial mood despite her current predicament.

"El?" Harry blinked blearily, "Y-you're awake!"

Eleena opened her arms just in time to catch Harry who jumped on the chance to smother her in affection the second he actually processed her conscious state. Humming contentedly, she glanced over his shoulder to meet her twin's gaze as he and his ever-present soulmate roused themselves from their sleep. Salem offered her a lazy smirk, all traces of concern gone from his face as if yesterday's accident hadn't happened.

"Sister dear," He addressed his sister, "I believe I deserve an award for my performance. I spilled quite a few tears yesterday, I'll have you know."

"Hm... I'm sure your soulmate adores how humble you are." Eleena quipped, earning an affronted gasp.

"I'm glad you're alright, Eleena." Cedric piped in, turning a deaf ear to his boyfriend's complaining.

Eleena nodded her head in grateful acknowledgement, reciprocating Cedric's actions with a grin of her own. Meanwhile, Harry was much too occupied with re-familiarizing himself with her warmth to pay them any attention, his face hidden in the crook of her neck. Eleena was all too happy letting him stay there but then, she felt a wet sensation on her neck, prompting her to send a meaningful look to Salem who quickly took the hint.

"Alright, we'll leave you be. Though keep in mind you're in a public place. Don't do anything I wouldn't."

"Your usual lack of common sense makes that a very short list."

"...You're injured so I'll let that one slide."

Eleena mockingly waved goodbye as Salem ushered Cedric away, the Slytherin sticking his tongue out before they disappeared behind the privacy screen. Though exasperated by her brother's childish behavior, Eleena elected to ignore it in favor of comforting a still upset Harry. Her little stunt must've really left a mark on him.

"What are those tears for? I'm not hurt, am I?" Eleena cooed, coaxing Harry to face her.

"You definitely looked the part..." Harry half-heartedly argued, "You were freezing cold, El. For a second, I thought..."

He didn't need to finish his sentence. Eleena could already guess what he wanted to say based on the distant fear in his eyes and the way his body trembled. It invoked a strong sense of guilt within her. She hated that she'd been the one to cause such pain to her own soulmate of all people. Wanting to rectify her mistake, she took hold of Harry's right hand and placed it right over her beating heart.

"Do you feel that?" She asked, voice barely above a whisper.

"Yeah..." Harry mumbled.

"Then you know I'm alive. I'm so sorry I made you worry." Eleena apologized.